Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not having owned a turbo Saab before I am still on a 'learning curve'.(1997 2.0 LPT 72k miles & in my possession 1 year)
Given that the turbo & wastegate linkage are just behind the radiator does the 'phuting' sound I can hear from the front of the car at idle indicate anything amiss or is it simply to be expected.
The noise is not intrusive but reminds me of a slighthly leaky exhaust manifold gasket.(all the studs are intact)
I suspect that a little leakage is to be expected around the wastegate linkage but would welcome comments frome others more experienced in turbos.
Many Thanks
Paul R

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Paull...
Not a problem i have experienced, or many others from the looks of things!

I agree that it sounds like an exhaust leak, and not liekly to be anything else on tickover though.

Hopefully you will have found the leak by now, assuming there is one! It should be easy to find with the bonnet up, simply by listening. Alternatively hold your hand near to pipe connections when engine is just started up, (so exhaust gas is not too hot!), and you should feel the leak.

Hope this is of some help.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I just wonder though, might it be a slighly frayed multi-drive belt (or whatever it is we call that incredibly long bit of belting that wraps its way round most of one side of the engine). I had a similar noise with mine and that was the reason.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to you guys for your dvice ...problem turned out to be loose nuts ! yes all three of them madam ! the ones holding that rediculous looking elbow bend onto the turbo. I was able to get nearly a full turn on each of them and noise (which was only noticable when cold) has completely gone.
I love it when a problem can be fixed at nil cost!
Thanks again for advice.
Paul R

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.