Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, as my manifold has crakced (99 turbo), I am considering replacing it with a fabricated replacement. A little extra breathability will of course be most welcome Has anyone with a 99 or 900 classic turbo ever had a manifold made. How much and where from (pref UK!)? Are there any good reasons why NOT to get one made?

Cheers!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi there mate. Doesn't look like anyone on here has tried this?

I can't really be of much help, but I'll post anyway .

I've only ever seen about two or maybe three cars with custom manifolds and they were all either (new) 900/9-3's.

I've found some pic's of one here...
http://saabpics.nailed.org:3000/gallery/900S
The car is actually owned by a guy who co-owns/runs Valhalla Performance. The car puts out around 270bhp and is N/A!

The other car was special project by either Speedparts or Nordic.

I saw yesterday over at ocuk (was gonna post there before I saw this) that you've found a replacement manifold. Personally I would consider getting it ceramic coated which should help make it more resistant to the heat cycles - especially useful as the 8v turbo's were always prone to cracking manifolds (which as you probably know only really show up when cold). This should give you a little more
- haven't a clue how much though as I've never seen any figures on how much hotter the gasses are after .

Oh and it would look pretty damn funky under the bonnet too .

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hiya

I've pretty much decided short term to go with a cast iron manifold, and look longer term at a fabricated one. Apparently cast ones are still available new for £370, so I may even do that. Should last a very long time.

Ceramic coating sounds interesting. I'll have a nose through where I work for anyone who does that. Might be able to persuade someone to do it at cost or something

·
Registered
229 Posts
Having it done at cost would be very nice . I know of a couple of places that do coatings to start you off...

Camcoat

Although the next one isn't actually a ceramic process, it does look interesting...

Zircotec

They actually have some temperature figures before and after and spookily even use a Saab in the pic here . Looks promising!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have wondered why nobody is doing an equal length header system for both na and turbo! The stock system can't be good with heat being cast iron and the length of the runners before entering the turbo favor the center two cylinders. Port matched and equal length header with ceramic coating!! If my desktop dyno software is telling me the truth; it would mean a 6%increase in flow and the ceramic coating should help with temps before the IC. Anyone have any idea if this is feasable? Sounds good!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts