Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an update (if anybosy is interested) on removal of a busted exhaust manifold stud I finished last week.

Apologies for war & peace, but well pleased at first successful job on the 9k (bodged clutch line previously and alarm is still giving hassle!!)

If anybody advises that it is a head off job, don't believe them.

Basic procedure - remove front grille, remove undertray, drain coolant (pref flush first), remove oil cooler (LH when looking under bonnet) and prepare to have a loss of a few spoonfuls of oil (take top connection off first then put thumb over top aperture when removing bottom pipe and tilt so apertures pointing upwards ASAP so full oil cooler does not empty), seal ends of oil cooler lines with cling film and elastic band to stop dirt ingress, remove radiator, remove turbo air cooler (intercooler??).

this now gives access to offending area.

Next; slacken water and oil banjo lines to turbo and ensure copper washers are not lost, slacken turbo to downpipe nuts and turbo to manifold nuts and turbo air in/out pipes turbo coolant to bottom end pipe, remove banjo lines and move out of way, remove air in/out lines, remove turbo to downpipe nuts and turbo to manifold nuts and turbo bracket screw and begin to wiggle turbo free, remove turbo, remove manifold.

Need new exhaust manifold gasket and turbo gasket, cobalt drills (screwfix £8), cordless drill, centre punch & hammer, 12mm & 13mm sockets and spanners (note that the turbo to manifold nuts need a thin ring spanner, I had to gring a 1/2" ring spanner to get over the head of the nut), flat screwdriver, 7mm & 8mm sockets or nut spinners, cutting fluid (or any oil to keep drill cool and lubed), easi-out stud extractor and freeing oil.

centre punch stud (if necessary, found that using very slow spped on drill let me get good centre start) used 4 or 5mm drill to start with and drill at 300rpm max (variable with trigger) and slowly worked through stud with one person watching for alignment from above and self watching alignment angle through hole where grille was (found it easier for lefty to do than righty). put lots of freeing spray behind stud once through and had a cuppa whilst it penetrated. went up to 6mm drill and more spray, tapped stud extractor in with hammer (gently) and began removing remainder of stud. by only going up to 6mm left room for error on centralisation and alignment. Stud came out with not too much fuss.

next scrape and degrease all gasket surfaces, put new length of stud iron in and follow reverse sequence for assy. difficult part is re-aligning turbo to downpipe - keep everything very loose at this point. generally, re-assy easier than assy.

Hope this is of use to somebody, unfortunately, forgot to take digi camera with me to get piccies.

Pete

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had 4 studs break on mine (out of 7 - no wonder the exhaust was blowing by the manifold!). My mechanic drilled all 4 out in-situ and used one easy-out tool, he had to hacksaw through the studs to get the tool out each time. Mega job, took him all day (oops!)

R

·
Registered
92 Posts
Nick,

Luckily for me, I have a friend who is a Saab Master Technician and he sorts out most mechanical stuff. That's how comes I can afford to run 3 9000's all at the same time!

For other stuff I use Saabflight just up the road from you.

R

·
Registered
662 Posts
about 4 years back,2 days before i was driving 300 miles over to north devon,i found 2 of my studs had snapped on my first 9kt.sounded ruff,but still drove ok.had no chance of getting it sorted,so torqued up remaining studs and off i went!.got there ok,but now well tankish!.got this local one(never done a saab)man band to give us a price for the work.he said half a day ,i said on both counts!!.lucky loads to do and see ON FOOT in devon,as TWO days and TWO trips to nearest dealer with gasket(got wrong one first trip
).that was 200 miles in all to exeter and back!!.picked up car..it was done and so was he.he said how much did i say?then started to wimper.yep!!65 quid all in wasnt it? .gave him 70..well he did wash it!!.i think his shed is a little chef now.cant think why??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.