Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My carlsson is gonna need a new back box and center box soon,does anyone know of any good replacment exhausts around also are the abbott stainless one's more expensive than an off the shelf saab exhaust system.

stuart
91 black carlsson

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I recently bought a genuine Saab back-box for a CSE from a dealer for £88 inclusive. The Abbott offering is £260 + VAT.

The performance of the car (2.0LPT auto) improved markedly when I replaced the tatty "Kwik-Fit" unit (I fitted the new box for the sake of appearance rather than because the old one was failing).

And a call to Kwik-Fit (out of curiosity only) obtained a price of around £160. Euro Car Parts could do one for £43 + VAT.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Depends where you are in the UK, Stuart?

The Saab Owners Club (SOC) Mag (DRIVER) advertises Stainless Exhausts on a SOC scheme from around £275 (From CAT back, although yours won't have a CAT), but you'd need to fit it yourself or pay extra.

Cardiff/Bristol 'Longlife Exhausts' can build you a quality system, to your speck and preference, for around £300, including VAT & fitting.

They did a good job on my CSE, and it comes with a lifetime warranty. Beats 3 years from a Std Saab system or other cheeper alternative - so long as you intend to keep your beloved Saab!

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
The Abbott stuff isn't the cheapest admittedly, but it's sounds beautiful. (I've got the full system incl bypass. With cat in circuit, it's a lovely deep purr. Without it, it's a beautiful grrowl) Some of the "cheaper" alternatives will be tuned to the sort of noise boy racers prefer ie all raspy and farty.

Mark

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I'm starting to think the JT 3" system on my Aero is a bit on the loud side (perhaps I'm getting on a bit...). However, when the guys at Abbott heard it, they commented on how quiet it was! And Ed commented that "it goes well on it".

Then again, I'd be happy with a 300bhp missile with a 0-60 of sub-5 secs, that was no noisier than a pushbike.

That's until I got used to that level of performance, of course...

·
Registered
722 Posts
Bill, when the birthdays get to a large number and the hearing is going from your loud exhaust:give us a shout and I'll take it off your hands. I'll do it for a reasonable price too!!!!
(PS Will be in Ireland last 2 weeks of August if you have intentions of going?Looking forward to the drive Dublin->Derry:cracking roads!get to Dublin 7.30am Sunday morning!Even less traffic!)

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I'll be in Belfast on 23-24th August. Flying visit to deliver my Dad's "new" '96 CSE auto. 23rd I'll be busy re-registering it with NI plates for him (and getting/fitting the new plates). 24th I'll be around most of the day, getting SleazyJet back to Luton in the evening.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the repiles,my alternator has just given up so the exhaust is gonna have to wait now oh and went to have the tracking done and it couldnt because the track rods are seized solid,i think money pit springs to mind.

stuart
91 broken down black carlsson

·
Registered
600 Posts
If you go for an off the shelf unit, I've got a "Bosal" brand fitted to mine and it seems well made. They come with a 2 year warranty aswell. The exhaust looked very similar to the SAAB origional - even had a black tail pipe cover (just like the origional)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.