Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The EGR system had been removed when I bought my current car. After looking through previous posts on Saabscene about insurance and modifications, I wonder if I should inform my insurers. However, I'd like to know if there is a performance benefit from removing the EGR - if not not I'd like to argue against having my premiums increased or I may consider replacing the EGR system (since I have a spare and cashflow isn't good at present).

Any information would be appreciated.

Jonathan.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Sleipnir (Isn't that a brand of bread making wheat??)

The EGR system does not add or remove ultimate power figures.

The egr system only 'opens' in specific circumstances to reduce Nox levels in the emissions. I believe it's only at low rev levels and when the engines warm. At full throttle is is 'off'

I've also read that it is used to reduce hot spots in the cylinders during ignition (so reducing Nox which occurs at high engine temps.

Andrew

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Hi Jonathan and welcome to Saabscene

Personally I wouldn't worry about the removal of the EGR system as far as your insurers are concerned. The chances of them picking up that this has been done are negligible, and even if they did pick it up and tried to wriggle out I'm sure you'd have no difficulty defending it. Not all models had it fitted anyway- what year/spec is yours?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome and replies. I won't worry about about the insurance then.

Mark, my car is a 1990 2.0 CD Carlsson. There's no cat' and it looks as if the egr pipe was pinched off at the exhaust manifold end. The trunking containing wiring for the injectors was also melted where an egr pipe would bend to meet an egr valve.

Scaero, I don't know anything about about brands of bread making wheat. A friend of mine thought naming a Saab after the Norse god Odin's fast, smooth running horse was appropriate.

Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts