Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last and final part of the 'cure the niggles' work for this week......9000 CSE 2.3 LPT. The exhaust has the cat in the down-pipe under the sump. This is inturn connected to an intermediate pipe, about 3ft long, that has a mesh covered flexi joint. It is this pipe i need to replace but cannot find it listed by any of the usual suppliers. I dont really want to go to a Saab main dealer, so any advice please???

Alun

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
The last time I bought one of these flexi-pipes, it was about £80 from the dealer. That one soon failed due to shot engine mountings, so I'd advise checking these before replacing the pipe. On mine, the pipe was visibly kinked, due to the engine dropping on the worn mountings.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for your input. the pipe is blowing under the mesh, so there is a blow in the flexy pipe. the mesh has corroded and is breaking up although basically intact. I couls weld a new flexy to it but if the price is cheap enough, a whole new pipe section would be a better bet. I will try 2 stoke to turbo.
Where are ECP..dso they have a site????

Alun

·
Registered
85 Posts
Originally posted by Alun:
[qb]last and final part of the 'cure the niggles' work for this week......9000 CSE 2.3 LPT. The exhaust has the cat in the down-pipe under the sump. This is inturn connected to an intermediate pipe, about 3ft long, that has a mesh covered flexi joint. It is this pipe i need to replace but cannot find it listed by any of the usual suppliers. I dont really want to go to a Saab main dealer, so any advice please???

Alun [/qb][/b]

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sorry Pressed the wrong button earlier. On the same subject. I have just had the same pipe replaced by a Lex centre for £120. The cars (9000 CDE)been back three times since as the section is constantly rattling and blowng intermittently. Every time it is in the bolts are tightened and it solves the problem temporarily. I have been under the car and cannot see any fixings that have been missed so an ideas why it may be rattling? Having spoken to a couple of mates they reckon the section is quite hard to fit???

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
VRaut,

Can i answer the question next week please? Searched for the internediate pipe and ended up buying one from Partco, £42 (inc VAT), next day delivery and looks good quality too, not stainless, but neither is the rest of the exhaust, this is a direct service replacement.

I have arranged to use a friends workshop lifts next weekend to do the swap (I hate it that you cannot get a 9000 on ramps at the front.....)

Alun

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by microcat36:
[qb]i usually use axle stands but was thinking about buying a set of ramps i take it the 9000 will not go on them because of the spoiler          [/qb][/b]
Not just the spolier, but the very long overhang at the front of the car, resulting in a shallow angle between the ground, wheel and bottom of spolier, far smaller than any ramps available.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Carlssons especially foul any attempt to get them up ramps if you wish to leave the bodywork intact. However your local timber merchant/building site will no doubt give you some timber offcuts.

I use two 1 metre pieces of 150 x 75 (that's 6" x 3") laid half way up the ramps which does the trick.It also means you don't burn the clutch out as the slope is gentler!

Alternatively, machine mart do a very good 2.5tonne trolley jack that's only about £25 if your serious.

As for the exhaust, I have actually cut out the flexi section on the down pipe when it broke and fitted a new 2 3/4" flexi section from Jetex in Stratford on Avon over both ends - about £30. Check their website.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts