Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to give you guys a heads up on a really good kit that I recently installed on my 9000. It was a short shifter kit from Saab Savior and, by the way, I am not affiliated with them. You can check out the pics on my web site under the Engine page. I also posted an note on TSN about this and think you should strongly consider it. It really provides a better shift feel and less slop in the shifter bearing. After I did the install, I was amazed at how quickly I was able to hit the shifts more quickly without the normal gear hunt. For 1/4 mile runs, this is like added horse power, but cheaper. Now the negative side. Like with all after market Saab parts, it is not as straight forward as it could be and requires some work. However, in the end, I say its worth it. Check it out and decide for your self!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Very interesting, Kevin. I must say I wasn't sure the 9000 gearbox could stand quicker shifts, but I was thinking of getting hold of an assembly from a scrapyard and modifying it myself. I didn't know how much I could raise the pivot-point, though.

Having read your impression of its effect, I must say that I made an amazing difference to mine just by replacing the nylon bushes at the bottom of the lever. Along with an Abbott rebuild of the gearbox about a month earlier when they installed the LSD, this has made a massive improvement. I reckon a short-shifter would be worth having, although I don't like SaabSavior's cavalier attitude towards discarding the reverse lock. The precision bearing does sound nice, though. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost? I know Quaife do a very high-quality item for Vauxhalls that might also fit the GM900 and 9-3 (???), but it costs £350 (US$562 at today's rate!). It is designed for serious competition, though.

I'll be interested in hearing your long-term results.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Could be an American one, Bill....

Having been to some car shows in the USA, Kevin's underbonnet is certainly up to the 'USA standard of excellance'.
Mind you the nice dry climate of Ca. helps no doubt....lucky chap......

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hmm, site won't work for me?

Beyond that, anyone got any more details on availability/pricing of short-shift kits for my MY99 9-3? Been wanting one since I test-drove it, lol!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since the Aero is not my daily driver and has kind of turned in to a trailer queen, I can easily keep her real clean. I manage to pull the engine on a regular basis and every time it is out, I give it a good jet wash. In addition to just good looks, a clean engine also helps you to quickly track any leaks you might have.

Yes, the battery is an Optima Redtop sealed spiral core battery. I went with this because I has tired of cleaning battery acid boil over. Also, this battery has excellent deep cycle capability.

As to the shifter, Saab Savior's site is - http://www.saabsavior.com/

The 9000 Short Shifter is $175.00 USD with a Core Charge of $100.00.

The engine picture also give you a good idean of how much larger the NA intake is verses the turbo unit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts