Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning my '96 9000 aero began idling eratically between 1500 and 2000 rpm. Otherwise the car is in great shape and runs well. For the record it was very cold (-20C). Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Hi Jon

Most erratic idle problems on 9000s are caused by AIC valves sticking. Usually this is due to a build up of deposits inside the valve, and can be cleaned off. Follow the link to Billj's 9000 site at the bottom of this page for a procedure to clean the valve.

Given the cold temps, it's just possible that the problem may have been caused by some condensation freezing inside the valve. Did the problem go away once the car was warm?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding so promptly.
The problem didn't go away after approximately 1/2 hour of driving. I took it to the dealership and they just called back and gave a similar suggestion to clean the throttle body.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hi
I had this fast/erratic idle problem too, but only during the recent very cold weather. It continued sometimes even when the engine had warmed up. Now the icy weather has gone, so has the problem. (9000 2.3T 1996).
It was too cold for me to bother about trying to trace the cause!!! I assume I have a fault somewhere because Saab couldn't possibly have let that slip throught the net.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hello,
I've had the same trouble with my 9000K FPT 88'. The remedy is : first unplug and unwire ( carefully by pushing the little metal clip before unplugging ) the AIC valve, wich is on top if the inlet manifold on early 9K (wich make it quite easy ) or under it on later ones, wich is more difficult to access but not as so as it seems.
We are speaking about the cilindric part wich is around 15 cm long ( sorry, we don't mesure it in inches ) with two hoses on it and a wire.
Then use some carb cleaner to clean it by spraying it on the two hoses plugs. use the carb cleaner until, when you turn in your hands the AIC quickly in your hands you could see it closed an open really easily. You will hear a little noise when moving as the moving part closes or opens. When it's done, plug it back carefully, and enjoy ! Normally, it's nearly always the same trouble on those cars !
Hope that helps. Anyway, BillJ has done a very nice and complete description of the procedure on his site.keep on saabin'. Laurent

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.