Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just filled up with Sainsbury's super-unleaded (as usual), but not from my usual branch(filled up in Tamworth).

5 miles later I am getting what feels like a huge missfire in 3rd 4th and 5th above about 2500rpm.

Its a 2.3 stage 1 cde that has run fine for the last two weeks and 3 tanksfull since conversion.

No sign of anything loose/hanging off.

Bad gas? or worse?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Hmm, that doesn't bode well for my c900 DI conversion then... shoulda asked my contact in the UK to get me two used DI cassettes from the scrappy...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
are all cassettes the same? - specifically will a 2.0 lpt fit (I will "borrow" SWIMBO's if it will fit)

Alyn

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Originally posted by Mark_A:
[qb]Could be that your DI cassette has given up.. funnily enough, Leon with his 9-5 after his speedparts upgrade had a DI failure too.. [/qb][/b]
From what I've read and with the help of /johns post about DI's I suspect my failure could've been something to do with chaning the plug type.... i went over to the platinum plugs...
However BillJ has mentioned that post power hike DI failures aren't un-common

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2.0lpt does fit

No missfire

Do I tell SWIMBO that I have swapped them?

Any way

Alyn

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by Al:
[qb]Just filled up with Sainsbury's super-unleaded (as usual), but not from my usual branch(filled up in Tamworth).

5 miles later I am getting what feels like a huge missfire in 3rd 4th and 5th above about 2500rpm.

Its a 2.3 stage 1 cde that has run fine for the last two weeks and 3 tanksfull since conversion.

No sign of anything loose/hanging off.      

Bad gas? or worse?

Cheers [/qb][/b]
Hmmmm, thats my regular branch (being a Tammie). See my thread regarding Saibury's super unleaded.

My cars been performing outrageously on this fuel, I suspect that it's RON is higher than the 97 quoted. Obviously it was a bit tooo much for your poor old DI.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Leon (murphwiz):
[qb]However BillJ has mentioned that post power hike DI failures aren't un-common  
 [/qb][/b]
Yes, that was passed to me by Maptun. I suspect that what happens is that the DI is on the way out and would fail eventually, but not is yet bad enough to cause problems. Then you throw a load more boost at it and load it beyond its failure threshold.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Sorry to hear about the DI cart . Out of interest does it still work OK in the other car with the lower boost &c?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Talking about DIC, mine failed in my 9-3 some 12 months ago. I replaced it with a 2nd hand one out of a 9000. The replacement has been working fine. But the point I really want to make is the fact that the older DIC seems to have a longer life span. Perhaps they used better components?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SteveN wrote

Sorry to hear about the DI cart . Out of interest does it still work OK in the other car with the lower boost &c?

It seems to work ok in the 2.0 lpt - The problem only arose in the 2.3 when I had been queueing in trafic and things were getting hot and sweaty in the engine room.

As the 2.0 cassette has 80K miles on it I will swap them back and fit a new one to the 2.3

I am picking a new one up from Hallam and Southerns in an hours time.

Incidentally - I have about 3 mpg better consumption with the working one fitted - the old one must have been on its way out since, or before the upgrade was fitted.

Cheers

Alyn

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DI Cassette fitted - all is well apart from wallet-£197

But with a two year warranty
so back to

Cheers

Alyn

1 - 12 of 12 Posts