Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know that odd chemical smell you get from epoxy resin when its setting? Any suggestions as to why the exhaust gases from SaabKats MY92 2.3T should smell like it? It flew through the MOT so it doesn't sound like the cat.

Steve

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Has a hanger broken and the exhaust pipe got too near the body and soundproofing?

Have you run over a large polythene bag and got it melted on the outside of the exhaust? This usually smells a lot worse than you describe tho'.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The smell is there all the time the engine is running..even when cold. I noticed it the other morning when I was in my 9000 and the acc was pulling some exhaust fumes in.

I have had a look underneath and there is nothing out of place or unexpected down there. I "wafted" some exhaust fumes and it is definately the exhaust gases. Guess I need to see if my 9000 smells the same way.

Steve

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK - an update.

Both my 9000 (2.0lpt) and saabkats 2.3FPT have the same chemically smell from the exhaust. So does the BMW I followed down the road the other day, and a few mercs I have followed.

So I am putting it down to either something in the Cheltenham air or something in the fuel they are delivering round here.

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts