Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The engine was overheating so i did some troubleshooting on the way. The following results arose:

-With the airconditioning on, the high speed fan kicks in for a short bursts

-Did multimeter voltage measurements on the low speed fan relay connectors:

Connectors 85&86 : Steady 13.73 V
Connectors 30&87 : Slowly Rising up to 10 V.

I think the resistor is 0.22 Ohms multiplied by 30 Amps that would give maximum a 6.6 Voltage drop from the battery's voltage (which mine measured is 14V with the engine on).
If i understand the cicruit schematic correctly, 30 & 87 are fed into the fan

So, the 30 & 87 connector's voltage seems quite reasonable . If there was a fault, i would probably not register a voltage reading at all. What worries me is :

Swapped the relays between low beam and low speed fan. The relay of the low speed fan is powering the lights a-ok......Is this relay supposed to be identical to the low beam relay ? (mine is)

So it must be either temperature sensor or the fan low speed motor.

QUESTIONS:
-Are the 13.73 V in 85&86 connectors reasonable at all?
-If it is the temperature sensor where is it located? (from forum reading i know there are two of them -which do i change?)
-Are there other sensors/parts included in the system ?
-If it is the temperature sensor, why does it not show on the temp gauge? The temp gauge rises quite smoothly....
-What are the chances of a possible wiring problem between ICE and fuse box?

Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, you made long question, so have a long answer :)

Story goes approx like that: there is a temperature sensor (I know just one) that sends information into DICE. This box then controlls temperature gauge on dashboard and fan relays (and bunch of other temperature-related stuff, such as amount of injected fuel...). So if you're having normal temperature gauge, the sensor is also fine.
Boris

Thanks on the answer firstly.

When i read the bold stuff, something else hit me : I have seen an increase in fuel consumption: 4 mpg less according to the SID

Another thing that hits me is the following in what regards voltages (i am not questioning, simply wondering:

the 30 & 87 on the high speed circuit register 13.73 V constant even with the engine off, while the same on the low speed register less. If there was no circuit at all would they not register 0 voltage ?

However will try tomorrow the cable thingy (hope i dont burn anything)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Boris,

Thanks for the info; reviewing the circuit you are right!

30 to ground registers the battery voltage; That however does not preclude i guess the blown resistor :)....

I guess i am off now to find a correct lead for jumping the fans :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts