41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,056 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Ok here I come with a stupid question . Is the cps something to do with , what order the spark plugs ignite in ? . Dose the cps pick up its signal from markes on the flywheel ? Like in the old days when use to use a strobe light to set the distributer up ? .
I know on another thread you had running you tested the DI cassette , did that work ok ?
http://www.saabscene.com/forum/threads/230386-How-to-tell-if-a-DIC-is-broken?p=1365738#post1365738
Dic not spark, cps yes, it tells the ECU the firing order. fitted new almost, just need to home it then screw down, banged my hand up, not ideal working conditions, three foot of snow and -5

freezing temps, metal tools and bare hands/fingers don't fare well when working on a car by Micky Aldridge, on Flickr

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Well well :( New CPS fitted, and still won't start, just cranks and cranks, not firing up, so it has to be fuel not getting to the engine :(

For now, it desperate hope I have disconnected the battery for half hour, and will try again, but losing hope now, and over the coast we paid for the car in new parts already :(

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Got my fault code reader today, plugged it in, and followed the instructions in the manual, but only getting "Linking Error", any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
3,056 Posts
Who's the fault code reader made by ?
Just a stupid question is a generic code reader ( re all makes of cars )
Have you got the ignition on ?
Every time you post on this thread I keep crossing my fingers that the car has started .

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Tried a new fuel pump relay, and it started :) Ordered a new starter though as the one fitted its solenoid sticks, and currently need to tap the starter motor to free it each time we want to turn the engine over.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi guys, yes, its me again needed your help, I started the car this morning, and left it running whilst I popped back to the house, when I got back to the car the engine had stopped. I tried to restart it, but its just turning over, and not firing up.

I have searched the forums, and read its possibly the EGR stuck open? Is there a guide in here somewhere on how to sort this?

Thanks in advance!
EGR valve open at idle (which it shouldn't be) will cause a rough idle. Shouldn't keep the vehicle from starting. Most likely issues are the Crankshaft sensor , especially since you mentioned the cars stalls after warm up. These sensors tend to act up after they heat up. They are VRS sensors
Hi guys, yes, its me again needed your help, I started the car this morning, and left it running whilst I popped back to the house, when I got back to the car the engine had stopped. I tried to restart it, but its just turning over, and not firing up.

I have searched the forums, and read its possibly the EGR stuck open? Is there a guide in here somewhere on how to sort this?

Thanks in advance!
Most likely the Crankshaft sensor. Especially since you mentioned that the vehicle stalled after warm up. These are classic symptoms of a failing Crankshaft sensor, these are VRS sensor type in that they produce an AC waveform and detects the rotation of the engine while its starting and running as well. WIthout this signal the CPU won't be able to generate the ignitional signals to the ignition cassette to fire and start the engine. You can monitor the output waveform with a handheld voltmeter, you should read approximately an Vac signal twenty five volts AC, it may be in millivolts I don't remember. This signal amplitude and frequuency is proportional to the engine RPM while cranking. This signal is fed to the CPU and in response the CPU controls the engine cassette ignition to start the car. Second possibly the fuel pump, try spraying some propane into the air intake via the air filter housing while cranking, if the engine starts you then have a fuel pump problem. You can also confirm the status of the fuel pump with a fuel pump pressure gauge, hook it up on the fuel rail behind the top engine valve cover , there is a schrader valve you can use for the fuel pump connection. Third, there's may be a problem with the ignition cassette module, this module is composed of four ignition coils, there is a electrical connectors on this module, there's approximately seven wires on this connector, two of those wires should be checked for twelve volts and ground while cranking. You can also confirm the coils are firing on a four cylinder engine, remove the ignition cassette, keep it connected , crank the engine , use a twelve volt test light, connect one end of the test light to a good ground, hold the tip of the test light about a half inch form boot tip of each coil while cranking, you should see a voltage spark from each coil boot tip to the test light as you move down the line checking each coil.

Of course there could be various other issues that do not allow engine start, but from the information you provided these are usually the most typical. Reply back with specific questions if you need more help.

Pete

41 - 52 of 52 Posts