Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, yes, its me again needed your help, I started the car this morning, and left it running whilst I popped back to the house, when I got back to the car the engine had stopped. I tried to restart it, but its just turning over, and not firing up.

I have searched the forums, and read its possibly the EGR stuck open? Is there a guide in here somewhere on how to sort this?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Engine won't fire up, its just turning over, EGR stuck open?

Ah, I just learned that my petrol 2.0L doesn't have an EGR.

I noticed that since not starting, the box in the top left hand corner of the engine, as you look at the engine, on the top there is a box with a multi plug connector going to it, this usually clicks when I usually start the car, but this is no longer clocking, thus care not starting, do any of you guys know what this parts it, and how to repair it, or is it replaceable.?

·
Super Moderator
2,953 Posts
I don't know much .but I know I love you ................. Ooooo sorry that's a song . but could it be something to do with the fuel pump ? Or relay . as I said I don't know much . but its worth a look .

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still trying to find out what this box is, all I know is it used to click whilst starting the car, but its now silent. Haynes manual isn't showing it.

I have ordered some new spark plugs, and a new red BIC, so will change those when they arrive.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, found out what that box is, its the cruise control ECU.

So I guess that clicking noise I usually hear when starting/cranking the engine is the fuel pump, this is no longer clicking when trying to start the car.

·
Registered
68 Posts
First up may I suggest when you include the details of your car and if it is petrol or diesel.
To tell if the problem is no fuel or no spark, spray some aerostart in to the intake at the throttle body and try to start it, if it tryes to start your problem is fuel related, if nothing happens it sugests your problem is ignition related.
When you turn the ignition on can you hear the fuel pump run, if not it sugests you have a problem with the fuel pump or relay

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, its a 2.0i petrol. Will give that a try, I cannot hear the fuel pump, so will investigate the relay today.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, been out and tried again, I put the ignition on, and could hear what can only be described as a small actuator running behind the dashboard, specifically directly behind, and above the cigar lighter. This sound continues even with the ignition in LOCK position, and alarm armed. Is this related?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where can I find the fuel pump relay guys? Is it behind the main fuse board in the drivers door side dash?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I removed the lower part of the dash (Under steering wheel) but couldn't see any relays there, so removed the glove box, and centre dash side trim, and couldn't see any relays there, the relays under the hood are mostly for the electrics, lights horn etc, but nothing labelled as fuel relay.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, so I had another look under the knee dash fascia and found the white plastic relay box, and pulled it down, does anyone know the fuel pump relay number, or at least which one it is?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
To get proper help you should tell us your specific vehicle details...however guessing its a LHD 1999 9-3 saloon .........I would swap say H and K over if they are the same relays and see if anything changes

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
According to Haynes manual, the fuel pump relay is located in position 1, third row down from the top, this is what it looks like..

Number below the GM name. >90414477 Made in Germany, sound correct?

DSC05841.JPG by Micky Aldridge, on Flickr

I was expecting it to be bigger, but this is half the size of a normal relay.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
To get proper help you should tell us your specific vehicle details...however guessing its a LHD 1999 9-3 saloon .........I would swap say H and K over if they are the same relays and see if anything changes
Thanks, I will try that my friend. Yes, its a 1999 Saab 2.0i 9-3 Petrol.

Than ks so much for that graph and details, it has just confirmed I have removed the incorrect relay, damn Haynes manual lol

I have run out of daylight here right now, so will try swapping those two relays tomorrow, besides, I have the BIC removed, and the spark plugs, talking of which, they are in poor shape, so just as well I ordered some new spark plugs. I noticed they were not soaked in petrol, which would indeed indicate that fuel isn't getting to them.

I lifted up the back seat to check the wiring, and someone has already cut out the area above the fuel pump, obviously replaced it, or repaired it in the past, they have then sealed it up with some black strong rubber like sealer, and in the process the wiring, and plugs are no longer accessible.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you check under the back seat you may find a plastic cover which gives acess to the fuel pump conector, check for power going to the pump, if no power at pump comector you have a relay , fuse , wiring problem of some discription, if power is going to the pump but it is not working looks ilke a pump problem

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks again, as mentioned the wiring under the back seat has been obstructed by a previous owners repair, looks like they have cut a large hole in the floor so they could change the pump.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts