Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
getting away from the clutch, i noticed when i start the cs i get a ticking coming from the engine that goes if i ither rev the engine high or it heats up ,engine is silent when warm, i take it it is a hyd tappet that is sticking so will a oilchange some slick 50 a new filter and a run clear the tappet or will i be better to get it changed, is this a normal problem on the 9000s.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I get a little bit of tick at cold (110K miles).

I wouldn't use Slik50.. I'd either give it a couple of quick oil changes or I did see a product in Halfords designed to help ease lifter tick (it looked like a light oil to me).

Steve

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
used slick 50 in all my old cars engines and gearboxes i have never had to take a cyl head off an engine or renew a gearbox on 8 cars, 2 have done over 400,000 miles, one an audi 100e has done 423,000 and had a new clutch at 90,000 but still on its second clutch even now. Its new owner put it through its mot last month without having to touch the emisions.I give my cars an oil change every 6,000 miles and a new filter at 12,000 also slick 50 1 a year, one year i did 30,000 miles in it and bar tyers and brake pads and disks and 1 ball joint did not have any outlay for its next mot.

·
Registered
382 Posts
every single piece of advice i have read about engine oil says, do not use additives. products like slick 50 are a gimmick, with testimonials from small racing teams that change the oil after every race. if you really want some, there are products on the market that contain twice or more the ptfe that slick 50 contains, they are also less than half the price.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I used to work with a guy who had been an engineer for years. In the 60's when he was a student they took a car engine apart, measured it all, put it back together, put Slik50 (or an equivalent in it), ran it for a while, drained it of all the oil and then ran it for several 1000 miles with no oil. Then they took it apart and measured it again.

I can't remmeber what the results were but he wouldn't touch oil additvies for a high spec engine.

Steve

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i i have used it for 15 to 20 years on all my cars including a 9000 turbo, put 100,000 miles on that one never had any problem on any of the engines , whether this is down to the oil changes or slick 50 i do not know, but until i do have a problem i will stick with it , it down to personnel choice if it looks like it does not do any damage and the mileage that myself and my dad do i would have thought that any damage that it does would have manafested its self by now, as i say personnel choice, like barr leaks you ither like it or don't.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i use mobil 1 have done since it came out, the one time i had to take a head of a car (audi 90 170,000 miles) was because i hade to get a plug hella coiled the bores and valves were clean and good on the engine and the car is still going today also ram a audi 200 Quattro for 6 years without trouble, if any engine was going to show any problems this one would track days and all.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not thought about that plug on the 90 in years ,we were going to the motor show one year ,i was topping up the water for the washers, went into the house for some water when i heard what i recond to be the car backfiring came out car was running rough ,looking for this my wife asked, turned round and she was coming down the garden holding a spark plug and lead?, turns out the garage had cross threaded the plug when servicing it and it had blown out 100 feet down the garden!, imagine if i had been standing there, i did and went forty shades of white.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.