Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The engine temperature gauage on the Saab I got this lunchtime never seems to go up siginifcantly during normal driving.

The needle goes up a few degrees but comes nowhere near the central position that my last Saabs gauge used to settle at.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
354 Posts
My 96 MY aero hardly ever gets much past the seven o'clock point and never more than the 8 o'clock. I'm told that the newer ones had a different type of guage and that the difference between 7 and centre is very marginal. Having said that, just to be sure, I will be changing the stat at next service

·
Registered
776 Posts
My 2.3T 1994 CSE allways sat aroung 8 oclock,but since bumping up the BHP sometime sits a little hotter at slower speeds, or in slow moving traffic( especially after having had a bit of a boot beforehand)....
Come to mention it, fan does cut in sometimes after a run, followed by slow moving traffic, looking for a car park space etc. Is this anything to be concerned about ?? ( temp guage never gets past 10 oclock !)
Andy

·
Registered
244 Posts
alresford replaces my thermostat at christmas as I experienced a similar problem with the guage reading about 7.00 o'clock. result: now reads about 9.00 with 2 mpg better fuel consumption. not very expensive either.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
JD,

You need to remember that Aero's were fitted with cooler thermostats as standard dropping the needle from 9:00 to a 7:30/8:00. Giving I think a 7 degree C greater headroom before boiling up.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That makes sense.

It has come to near the 9 o'clock mark when sitting in traffic, but drops down when moving along to on top or just above the broken space in the temp line.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.