Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I live in the States. I am looking to swap out the engine on my 96 GM900 S. Basicly looking for somethign with less miles as I really like the car but am afraid of the engine.. Have 109K miles on the car.. The guy that had it befor me took car of it but I known him for years and saw what he did to the engine of his 94 GTi Vr6. So basicly I wan'na know what engines from what years would fit.. And if I swap out the engine how much do you think a used one would run me if I can find it.. Also if I find a Turbo(which I much rather have) would I need anything else besides the engine to make it work.. Considering the turbo is still on the engine and wasn't removed. Any help is much appriciated.. I am only doing this because I love the look of the a Saab. Plus I really wan'na put the 9-3 bumpers and side skirts on it to which I think make it look 100times better.. Thanks in advice
Yours,
Raven

·
Registered
696 Posts
You'd be better of buying a Wrecked 900 Turbo then so you could Swap everything like computers, electrical looms, etc etc.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I dont think you have anything to worry about with only 109k on your car. I guess you could have some bad luck...but Saabs are known to run well over 150k. Sometimes to 300.

I was on a saab club page somewhere and they had a place on the site to put what kind of Saab you had and the mileage on it. Most cars were 200k and up. If i find the link ill put it on here.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Raven, if you're intent on going ahead, you'll find that pretty much any 94-on 900 engine will fit. I would assume that a 9-3 engine would probably fit, and I know that people have put late 9000 motors in GM900s with a little work.

Aside from the 'will it fit' physical concerns, there's also wiring and electronics to worry about which may be an issue. But if you really want to do it, it can be done.

hth

James

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok since everyone is tellin' me the engine will last I will stray away from swaping the Engine for now.. But still I would to have the car Turbo Charged.. Basicly I know there are no Bolt on turbos for this car.. So I am turing to you's for advice.. Find a macked up 900 and buy the turbo off it and have it fitted to my NA 900.. Besides the acutal turbo I am guessing theres more I would need to remove off the car.. I have a close friend of my grandfathers that works in a junk yard and he had a 9000 turbo there a few months back no sure of the year.. He said if I even need anything to just ask and he will do his best to get what I need since their yard is a brother yard to many others and he can check all of them for me.. But what parts exactly would I have to request as I am not to technical with cars. Thanks again
Yours,
Raven

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well, obviously, the 9000 turbo would be better for you than the 900 turbo. So if your friend has one of these, then heres a start on the list of things you need.

turbo w/ actuator
exhaust manifold
downpipe
intercooler w/pipes and bracket
boost solenoid with pressure hoses
turbo oil lines
turbo water lines
air intake and filter

I would also call Maptun(or another company that upgrades trionic 5 ECUs) and ask about upgrading your ECU as well.
You might also need the fuel injectors and fuel pressure regulator.
If i forgot anything important someone will let you know.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by clint:
[qb]If i forgot anything important someone will let you know. [/qb][/b]
I think you did - the non-turbo engines have a higher compression ratio than the turbo engines and I think some of the internals are different too. You may be able to get away with fitting a turbo and setting the boost to something very low like 4 or 5psi, if the ignition or fuel injection system can deal with any tendency to detonate. However, it will be a non-standard installation and you'd largely be beating your own path (although I believe it has been done). The performance gains might not be worth the effort, though.

I'm pretty sure the 900 non-turbo used Motronic, not Trionic, so there is no means of electronic turbo control. Fitting Trionic would, I think, be a major rewiring exercise and you'd need to add the Trionic ECU and DI cassette to the shopping list. And you still have to work around the non-turbo engine.

To be honest, the most economical route is probably to sell the non-turbo and buy a turbo model.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts