Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is exactly the engine diffirences of a carly 2.3T and an ordinary 2.3T,now I know the "ordinary" one kicks out in the region of 190-200ish hp.
But what exactly has been done to the carly to produce 220ish?,can some one enlighten me on this please.

Stewart

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
The 2.3 Carlsson punched out 220bhp as opposed to the standard FPT's 200bhp. I can't remember the torque figure, but take my word that it's more impressive than the bhp!!

The major difference between the Carlsson and the FPT's power is in the delivery, the Carlsson's boost arrives suddenly and aggressively. The FPT is much more "gentle" in delivery but still flippin quick.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I believe it's all achieved through the DI/APC program, and there are no mechanical differences at all. I understand that if you get hold of the DI/APC "red box" and install it in a standard manual 2.3T, it will perform like a Carly. Unlike the Aero, the Carly's turbo was no different from other contemporary 2.3Ts.

If you're reading this, paulmanchester, am I correct?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So it's all down to the DI/APC 'mmmm',so you get yourself a 2.3T fit a "cartridge" in it and you'll have carly power.
Now I know the cartridges are about £300ish cause I nearly had to buy one for my 2.3 auto,but thats food for thought,cheers guy's.

Stewart

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
No no no .. not the DI cartridge but the APC controller. Someone will tell you where the APC box is located, I believe somewhere under the dash / drivers footwell area. It is possible to reprogram/rewire a standard (black) APC circuit board to make it match the the red APC's board.

If you want to go down this route, it's best to look at an APC/ECU upgrade. For that you want to talk to someone like Abbott Racing or Hirsch.

But you'll need a healthy bank balance.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So is this right enough,all you need to do is fit the APC box off the carly,well apart from suspension mods ect.
I spoke to a guy the other day and he said there was one for sale quite cheap,well for a carly that is £950ono.
But I spotted one in the ad trader in perth for £1850ono or p/x for "something sporty",now this say's it's good for 160+ now that's been chipped,well it's had something done!, plus it has (as he/she say's) high miles but doesn't say how high!.
But is that not kinda high?,then again maybe you guy's know who he/she is I don't know.But in all honesty if this trick with the "box" can be done to an "ordinary" 2.3T then it might really worth thinking about.
I was on Abbotts site and the APC upgrade they is £400odd and that's more/less the price (as far as I'm aware) for a new one.
But would a new one for a carly fit into a 2.3T without having to do any serious mods,would it "reprogramme" that car if it had to,as you'll be aware I don't know much about this side of thing's.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by zeppelin:
1990 carly/174000/fsh.garage in fife 800 quid/red and in good nick.i looked but never drove cause the week before,after looking for carly for months and not seeing one,i got 2lt lpt/you will understand why i did not drive carly.these cars are now scarce..............but cheap.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry posted this in wrong post (seling a Saab)

I wonder if this is the same one I mentioned above (in Perth) if it is where does he get £1850 from??,might not be though!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Yes, the 225hp 2.3T has the larger Aero turbo and ECU software to match. This turbo can flow a higher volume of air and therefore maintain the same boost pressure at wide open throttle at higher RPM. This is the Aero engine, and there wasn't a 250hp version, 225hp was the highest output for the 2.3T (or 200hp if it's an automatic). The Carlsson was 220hp, and used the smaller turbo.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.