Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys

im looking for a little info please, i drive a petrol 1.9 saab 9-3 convertible 2009.
i have noticed though that when i first start the car the engine has a bad rattle like metal molts are in the engine that seems to last for a minute or 2. i am hoping that it just needs some fresh oil. can you tell me what oil i should put in?

car does drive a run fine with no issues as far as i can tell

also if you have any other ideas on what it maybe apart from the oil feel free to inform me.

thank you for any help.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Saab 1.9 petrol? Do you mean diesel or is your car a 1.8l or 2.0l petrol car? :confused:

If you've got a 1.9 diesel and you've put petrol in it and started the car, then I'm afraid, it's game over.......:eek:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Only thing I can think of, is timing chain tensioner needs replacing. I'm sure someone with an intimate knowledge of the petrol model will help more.

How many miles on this car?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Well I guess that's the timing chain tensioner theory quashed then!

So how many oil changes has this vehicle had? At 45k miles on a 2009 car, low miles, oil changes should be done annually impo, especially if only used mainly for town trips.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it has full sevice history and is used daily on the motorway for a 60 mile round trip.

·
Super Moderator
3,072 Posts
Hello when was the last oil change ? .
I would first of all change the oil and filter . Good quality oil and filter then take it from there .

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have no idea when it was last changed, yes agree a good quality but what oil and what grade 20/40 i am unsure.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
You'll have to forgive me, and I'm not trying to be awkward, but I'm a little confused. You state the car has a full service history? if this is the case, you will have all of the service sheets which should detail when the car was last serviced including when the last oil change was. How long have you owned the vehicle?

Your owner handbook will tell you exactly which oil is the recommended oil for your vehicle.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have had the car about 12 months. the car does have full service history but i moved house a few months ago and as yet have not had time to unpack all the boxes and that so i not able to find the binder with all the car details in.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Ok, so there's a possibility then that the car hasn't actually been serviced for quite some time, especially as you've intimated that you've not had it serviced during your ownership. My advice therefore would be to get the car into a good independent local garage and get the oil and filter changed asap unless of course you are able to do the work yourself. I'm assuming here you've had to have the car MOT'd during the time you've had it?

Where are you based by the way? UK or elsewhere?

·
Super Moderator
3,072 Posts
i know what its like moving and everthing is in boxes . if in the past 12 months the oil has not been changed then i would change it . 5w 30 or smoething like that .if doing ityourself try euro car parts they do deals on 5 ltr of oil and a filter in a bundle , i always say dont skimp on the quality of the oil . something like mobil 1

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
great thank you. have managed to find service book after the ;ast post and was last serviced 17 months ago. so i expect the oil is well past due.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Yes, I suspect the oil is well past it's best.

Personally, if cash allows, I'd have the car in for a proper service, oil+filter, air/pollen filters, plugs and brake fluid change. Also, check to see if the coolant has ever been swapped out. Coolant is long life, not for life, 5 years is the recommended change out schedule.

I appreciate it's never any fun forking out cash on a car, but if you're using it everyday on the motorway, you'll want the car to remain reliable. I spend up to four hours a day, 5 days a week just transiting the M1 and the number of vehicles I saw just today broken down was ridiculous. From experience of talking to some of these folk, most readily admit servicing is not top of their priority list, many only doing something when the car fails the MOT.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts