Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a '89 saab 9000 2.0 i,which has 156k on the clock.i've owned it for over a year with no probs till now.
recently however the engine 'died' on me.but restarted after about 5 minutes.i nursed it home but there was a distinct lack of power and the engine was reluctant to pull under acceleration stuttering etc. it will start and idle with no problem but the minute you depress the accelerator
and put it under load it dies on me.
anybody out there got any ideas what the problem could be.
any answers greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
430 Posts
If it's fitted with Saab's Direct ignition system ( it'll say so on the big red panel on the top of the cam cover) then it is most likely the direct ignition cartidge failing. The only way to really find out if it is that is to try a one that you know works properly. Pain in the A**e but there's no other way really.

Have search of the site under 'direct ignition' or 'DI cartridge' and you'll learn a lot more about them.

& welcome to Saabscene

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
sounds familiar,I was plagued with these sort of symptoms after we rebuilt my engine,turned out to be two things a) A loose hose clip on the trunking between the air cleaner and inlet manifold B) one of the brass inserts had that the idle control valve hoses attach to,on the inlet manifold had fallen out.So in a nutshell see if you have any sort of induction leak.
Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.