Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone advise on the proper engine oil for my 1992 9000S? I believe it is a non-turbo (2.3)
And, will I need to switch to a different weight when the seasons change (summer/winter). Thanks

·
Registered
312 Posts
Wow! The last two issues of "Nines" magazine addressed this issue in so much depth that it does become confusing. The Saab factory recommends Mobil-1 Synthetic oil for the new cars.
I believe the weight is 0W-40. I personally use a blended oil from Saab. I believe the weight is 5W-30 and I have been told that I will not need a change in viscosity due to seasonal change. Of course you could use almost any of the Castrol products and be quite safe as well. Like I said, lots of choices. Best of luck in choosing!
Regards,
John

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Use a 0W-40 full synthetic oil. You can use this all year round. The obvious choices are Mobil 1 or Castrol RS, if you can get the latter in the US of A. See Mobil's website. Note the wording "Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 0W-40 is engineered to provide outstanding protection in high-tech European engines. It provides excellent wear protection in high-temperature/hot-running engines."

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have tried 0-40 oils but as all my cars are high milage 185k+ miles I find this oil makes them very rattly and when hot they do not sound good I cannot imagine this is doing the engine any good at all.

Good Semi-sinthetic 10-40 and regular oil changes work well for me.

Currently I have clocked over 300K miles on SAABs with over 100K miles and 2 with over 200K miles with no engine trouble at all.

If racing a low milage car then 0-40 might get a bit more BHP.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.