Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please don't say beside the engine!
I know that!
While looking at buying polyurethane bushes everyone's site always mentions that the mounts should be checked and replaced if necessary first.
How do i know if they're knackered, will they look split etc or will there be unusual movement or something?

Thanks
Skiddins

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
normally if engine mounts are knackered ther will be excessive movement. Open the bonnet and get someone to snatch the clutch, as if pulling away quickly, if the engine moves quite a lot they're shot if not they should be ok.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
on my 1990 9000 there is one at the top left (looking in from the front) which the engine hangs from. There is another down in front of the gear box at the front of the engine well.

The top one is easy to check - just look through it sideways and look for it being off center or cracked.

The other thing to look for is excess movement on the gear change and inconcistant problems going up and down through the gates

Steve

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are we all talking about the same things?

I know about the torque arm at the top of the engine (The two large metal rings with rubber in them, and the gearbox mount is the other large wide round unit just in front of the gearbox.
But where are the hydraulic engine mounts people keep going on about.

http://www.electricbbs.com/public/saab/eng...nginemount.html

This site has some pics etc but i can't tell exactly what i'm looking at, or how to test them to see if they're ok.

Skiddins

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
As I recollect, some of the mounts are rubber, others are hydraulic.

I have never heard of the 'engine mounts' being called 'torque arms' 'Skiddins', but it sounds like you are refering to the same thing.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Sounds like there's some confusion here chaps!
The hydraulic engine mounts are at the bottom of the engine, on the drivers side (UK) and hold the engine up from below.
You really need to remove the wing liner to see them properly.
The engine is also restrained by the torque arm (on top, drivers side) which does exactly what it says, ie: controls the twisting motion of the engine fore and aft. The engine doesn't hang off it.
At the gearbox end, there's another large mounting which the unit sits in.
Pete.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There are two hydrolic mounts. One is almost directly under the water pump. It looks like a circle piece of rubber that is recesed in the frame. The second hydrolic mount looks identical to the one under the water pump, except it is on the back side of the motor. It is easy to find on a 1989 9000 because oil runs all over it when the oil filter is removed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Skiddins, I have bought an Aero more or less at the same time you did. Now there is the question of the engine mounts.

When I bought my Aero I asked the seller (a SAAB dealer) about the state of the engine mounts and they told me they were OK (false) and when I took the car to the garage where my father services his Honda they showed me that the upper mounts and hydraulic front engine mount were worn out. The way they showed me the worn front engine mount was: having the car lifted, they jacked up the engine near the mount wanted to be investigated. The front engine mount showed itself completely broken and then rear one showed to be OK. This work had been carried out at a garage but I asked them how you could look for the mounts. This is what they told me:

1. Jack the car and support it on axle-stands.
2. Find the mount you want to check.
3. Jack the engine carefully at a point of the engine block near the mount (you better get under the car while some one helps you jacking the engine up).
4. Observe the mount from under the car as the engine is jacked up.

In my case I could see perfectly the broken rubber case of the front mount. The rear one was OK. The symptoms that got me to suspect of engine mount wear were:

1. In 4th and 5th gear at high speeds when I stopped accelerating and began accelerating again the gear lever moved too much (maybe it happened in the other gears but I didn´t try it).
2. Under hard acceleration in 1st and 2nd when the APC needle gets to the red and the turbo stops for engine protection a great clunk noise could be heard.

All these effects were corrected after front engine mount was changed.

I’m sorry for the novel but I hope this could help you.

PS: I'm thinkimg of changing upper mounts for Poly bushings, so please post your experiences with if you fit them.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Suso, i've got lots of poly bushes but i haven't started to fit them yet. I'll post my findings when i get around to doing them, probably a pair at a time.
Everyone says to check the main engine mounts first so i'll have a look at them, hopefully the weekend if the weather holds out!

Skiddins

·
Registered
354 Posts
look at a saab 9000 site called electric dream. I think it tells you what to do there I'll come back with the URL. The site belongs to a guy with a silver aero who posts on the US site (just type 9000 BB in the browser and it will come up). He is called Bill J and seems knowledgeable

1 - 13 of 13 Posts