Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all
I wonder if I could beg a little advice from someone. The top engine mount/tie bar bushes are both split and need changing.This looks easiest with them both out but one of the brackets is attached to the back of the block and the bolts look well hidden and difficult. How hard is it to get it all off and how tight can I expect the bushes to be/do I need a press etc. Also, while I'm at it, is it worth upgrading to poly bushes.
Cheers
Anthony

·
Registered
945 Posts
Did this a few months back. Job isn't bad once you've got used to the fact that your going to have to take off the wheel and wheel arch liner. Once you've done that you have to remove disconnect the alternator from the lower of the two top mounts (your ok, you needn't disconnect all the electrical connectors to the wires, just attach a cable tie and hang it from anything that will hold the weight) now you can remove the bolts required at the bottom and hey presto the lot will come out. As for the bushes, a guy on here replied to me when I was doing mine and mentioned getting a hacksaw and cutting into the bush frame at certain angles and then being able to just pull them out, check the archives for it. Otherwise if you've got access to a press, press them out. I just got myself a new second hand mounting that had good condition bushes, but I'm a lazy so and so!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Got a Superflex poly bush on the rear of the engine torque arm, with a normal (knackered!) rubber one on the front. There was a noticeable but not dramatic improvement to the gearshift and general feel of the car, with no increase in vibration. I did the rear bush because it allowed me to undertake the work in the warmth of the kitchen. Getting the old bush out was reasonably easy (I used a 3 leg puller to push it out!). Getting the new bush in is a complete sod of a job - I ended up sawing it in half which makes installation a piece of cake and doesn't affect the bush's performance. I will plan on doing the front bush when the head comes off soon. However, opinion is split as to whether or not upgrading both bushes is beneficial. Some say it transmits too much engine vibration, others say fitting only one poly bush causes the other to wear out quicker....Personally, I don't think there'll be a problem with fitting two

Julian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.