Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a problem with my 95' 2.3 Eco.
Initial symptoms were of a slight hesitiation under acceleration, this has now developed into a distinct 'stuttering' of the engine under anything but minimal acceleration - it feels as if fuel is not getting through smoothly but in bursts. This is, of course, causing notable engine vibration and I'm having to drive considerably tenderly to avoid thsi happening.

I've got the car booked into the local Saab dealership later this week (I know it's expensive but unfortuately don't really know enough about engines). But was wondering if you guys had any ideas.... is it expensive?

Thanks

·
Registered
600 Posts
Its just a thought and it could be something much more complicated, but I would definately change the spark plugs and make sure you get the plugs listed in the owners/haynes manual. I've currently got 3 9000's including a 2.3 ECO and all of them seem quite sensitive to having good/new/the correct grade of plugs. I was trying to buy some plugs for the ECO at the local motor factor on Saturday and he said the ECO plugs were 'special order', so if you have'nt had the car serviced by SAAB .....
If nothing else, if you change the plugs (cheap and easy to do) at least you will know that its not them.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Most usual cause of misfiring under load is the Direct Ignition unit. I don't know what Saab's current price for it is - it used to be 3 or 4 hundred pounds but it is available from Europarts for about £125.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help..... it was the DI cartridge (so a couple of hundred quid less in the bank), here's to a bit more fun with the accelerator pedal. All this sedate driving has boosted by petrol consumption from 30mpg to 32mpg....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.