Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Engine 'lumpy' when first starting

Tags
lumpy
3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  spinna 
#1 ·
When I start my car from cold it's a bit 'lumpy' kinder sounds like its almost struggling a little to keep going, but this only lasts a few mins and then it's fine and sounding normal.
I had a new clutch fitted last year and not the flywheel at the same time as I was advised the flywheel was 'ok' and to just change the clutch.

It's almost like the engine noise/rattle noise is from this area and once warm then it's fine.
The car drives fine and is showing no faults at all.
It's a 2.0 petrol facelift model.
Does this have a egr valve or is it only diesels that do as I've been told it might be this?

#7 ·
Doubt it ...... Might be time to have a look at where the throttle butterfly lives..... Might be time for a bit of a clean ? ....... Is there any hissing going on anywhere in the engine bay when she's running lumpily ? ....... The kind of noise you would get if a tube probably rubber isn't quite holding pressure ? Any stained areas around the injectors & or glow plugs ?

Just noticed its a petrol ........ Is your maf looking OK ? Is it returning the correct readings in its lumpy stage..... Similar with the coil Pack(s) ? :confused:

#10 ·
do a compression check when cold
see a lot of this now - suspect inlet valves worn away to the point where they no longer close properly
regards gareth

weird how it always seems to be 07-08 aeros ????
i suspect the mapping is to rich when cold causing unburnt fuel to sit on the closed inlet valve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.