Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 1993 aero had developed a coolent leak the other day so i thought i'd fixed it by replacing the damaged radiator top hose,but theres still antifreeze all over my drive!
after going on a short run to warm it up i popped the bonnet and water was dripping from the right hand side of the engine(top hose side).seems to be around that front corner just above the gearbox.
i hope anyone can help..

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hi there,

When you say leaking, was it from a join between a hose it's interface or from the block?

If the former, the jubilee clip is either loose or of the wrong size. (Too big)

If from the latter from a gasket? or a seal from the head / block?

Can you give more detail where the leak is sourced?

Cheers,
Mally

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi mally, to be honest im not very clued up when it comes to engines but here goes!
the leak seems to be seeping from the block just above the gearbox,if that makes sense it looks like there is some kind of weld or something when you run your finger over its clear but theres green antifreeze on the floor????
confused??
i am mate!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I have a constant battle with water leaks. I have had one roughly in the area I think you are describing that turned out to be a leak between the radiator core and the end sections. The leak was very hard to spot because the water ran down the join and wasn't visible until it dripped out the bottom of the radiator. While driving the air flow pushes the water back along the arm that supports the radiator so that it is more visable around the engine and gear box.
Kev

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kevster,
cheers for that mate but im almost certain its not the radiator thats the problem,wish it was!!
i got a new top hose from saab this morning as originally that was leaking from a split but now this one has appeared along with antifreeze over my new drive.
the leak is coming from the right hand bottom corner as it also drips onto the gearbox.
any thoughts???
cheers

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
It might be a core plug - my T16S has got a leaky one at the moment and after I mentally rotated your engine through 90º, it is in about the same spot. They are about £6-00 from your local friendly SAAB dealer. I hope this is the cause.
TB

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks,
£6.00 ! i hope so.
i know its aprils fools day but surely someone is taking the p*&^ out of me.my wife has also told me that the ABS light is coming on and off now aswell!
it never rains!!!!!

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
It sounds like it's coming from the thermostat housing area.

Possibilities include:
- a loose clip as has been stated
- a small hole in the hose. This will probably not be obvious until the engine is up to temp and the pressure forces the coolant out.
- a problem with the seal around the stat housing or temp sensor

With the engine warm, try using kitchen roll to dry off all the coolant that you can see leaking and then re-apply dry roll to help indicate where the leak is coming from.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
been to the garage today to pick a few brains. it turns out it could be the head gasket the leak is coming from the right hand bottom corner at the join between cyl head and block plus they won't take on the job because basically its too much hassle for them,charming eh !
don't suppose there are chaps here on saabscene who enjoy the pleasures of car maintenence. preferably in north yorkshire

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.