Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three years of owning a 9000 & only now have I found this site - never too late...

Problem:
9000 CS XS (equivalent to CSE)- driving along quite happily until when approaching lights, roundabouts, etc. & going into neutral, when the engine stalls.

This has been going on for some time now, but I have always been able to remove the air density meter (the airflow thing that sits between the air filter & engine), spray it with an injector spray & its OK for a few weeks - the old trick doesn't work any more, and a new unit is a few hundred quid!!! ("Oh, that's a surprise" I hear you say)

This had baffled SAAB garages in the past! Nothing (wrong) would show up on their computers.

Has anyone had a similar problem in the past? The fault could even be elsewhere.

Regards,
Faez

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, but if the control valve is supposed to be on the Bosch air density meter, then mine does not have one - It just has a terminal for the cable connection.
However, I have seen it on some other models of the unit.

Is replacement my only option now?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The Automatic Idle Control (AIC)valve is a metallic cylinder situated on top of the inlet manifold (it is under the manifold on later Trionic cars). It has a hose on one end which is connected to the throttle body and short hose out of the side of it to the inlet manifold. On the opposite end to the hose is an electrical connector. Unplug the connector, undo the hoses and wriggle it out of its rubber mount. Inside you will see a rotary shutter which can move to obscure the exit hole to the manifold. This is modulated by the ECu to maintain a constant idle speed. Check that it moves freely through it's arc of movement. Carb cleaner should soften any carbon build up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Derek - but it wasn't the AIC; I cleaned it out as it was a bit gunged up with carbon. (arc movement is unrestricted)

Feels like I'm getting close though, as the car drives as if its choking (in a lumpy, jerky sort of way) & the 'Check Engine' light comed on (& goes off on the motorway).

Anything else I can try?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The fact that the check engine light comes on and that it drives jerkily suggests that there may be a problem with one of the sensors. If the ECU gets an out of range signal it flashes up the "check engine" light and substitutes a "dummy" value.
I had a similar problem a couple of years years back and it turned out to be the Lambda sensor. Not easy to check though. According to all the tests available to me it was OK but substitution proved otherwise. Don't buy a Saab one for £150 or what ever they are now, you can buy a generic 3 wire sensor if you are prepared to splice on the connector off your old one.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Definately sounds like the Idle Control Valve or Lamda, if I can second what has been said already.

Both can cause the 'Check Engine' light to come on in manner described.

If it is the Lambda sensor a garage with a testor can confirm if it's faulty. "Euro Car Parts" sell alternative parts including Lambda sensors for 9000's which are a direct fit for a fraction of the Saab dealer rip off price! Search for them on www.google.com (or search for 'google' on yahoo if my guess at the URL is wrong!).

Another possibility is the Turbo wastegate sooted up. When this happened it threw out the ICV, as it could never find the right balance, and caused the ICV to generate the 'Check Engine' warning, even though the ICV was fine and the cause was the ICV.

Can't imaging how spraying the Air Density Meter with cleaner would have helped though, as it would have been burnt in the cylinder before reaching the astegate, so probably some other problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.