Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine coolant reservoir and bonnet struts.

I am seeking to remove the engine coolant reservoir so that I can clean the coolant level sensor mechanism. However, I cannot work out how the reservoir is attached to the engine bay. My Haynes Manual refers to a bolt but does not show an illustration. In comparison the steering pump reservoir just lifts out without any problem.

I have felt around under the reservoir for a bolt but can't find anything.

Another issue that I am wishing to find out about is the correct way to install the bonnet support struts. With the bonnet in the open position should the body of the strut be on top with the sliding shaft attached to to the guards?

Unfortunately Saabs are rare where I live and I can't look at someone else's car to check.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Re: Engine coolant reservoir and bonnet struts.

Funny, I thought someone would know this? I can't exactly remember, but there was no bolt on mine for sure. It was a sliding fit. You move it towards the centre of the engine bay to remove it. I seem to remember that there is a clip under the bottle at the front that you have to press to release it. I did struggle with it a bit. Once you get it out, it's obvious if you see what I mean! On mine, it just took quite a lot of force to get it moving.

Hope that helps a bit, sorry my memory is not better.

·
Registered
24 Posts

Same idea as the others, although I would describe the fitment as a slot at the back of the tank and a push clip at the front. feel for the bottom edge of the front clip and pull it forward and the expansion tank should pivot up on the rear slot, on the other hand if you haul it, it will come off.

·
Registered
13 Posts

The front tab, which you can see without too much trouble, needs to be pushed down to release the front clip, then the rear clip will slide right out with ease. Don't forget to remove the level sensor from the bottom so it doesn't get damaged when you pull the resevoir out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I wanted to remove the coolant reservoir so that I could thoroughly clean it in case dirt or other residue was stopping the coolant level sensor from working properly.

After cleaning the reservoir internally which is not easy due to it's odd shape the coolant level sensor was still showing that the level was low even though it was actually correct.

I have since purchased a new sensor which can easily be fitted in a couple of minutes without removing the tank or draining the coolant and that fixed the problem for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.