Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a clunk when I take off in first gear and can sometimes hear it lighter when jumping on it in some of the other gears. Had a friend check it out with me (he is a foreign auto mech) and I had assumed it was the mounts. The sound is a metal on metal sound which with hydraulic rubber mounts made us wonder why it was such a metal on metal sound. Anyone heard a sound just like this and was it the mounts?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
My rear hydraulic mount went on my 89 Turbo, and I had a bad metallic clunking when pulling away and putting power down. I'd check there first, but don't buy the mount from Saab, they want £190 German and Swedish want £40something.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I agree with the others about the lower motor mounts, but I want to share you my experience because it might be useful to you.
I had a similar problem, just a few days after a head gasket job. It was everytime I started, of changed gear. It eventually started to come out on bumps, too. IT was from the right side of the car, the passenger side in my italian car.

It turned out to simple be one of the torque arm screws loose: I didn't tightened it properly, and after a few days it had becoming looser and looser. Of course, after the o$ repair, I had no problems.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I heard a similiar clunk whilst accelerating from a dead stop for a few days. I suspected motor mounts, but that was a false lead. I checked the engine movement and it seemed okay. The exhaust was also starting to vibrate excessivley, which in turn caused a odd sound across the RPM range. Got the car on a lift and saw that the heat shield on the rear muffler was bent. All it took was just a bit of muscle power to bend it back. Clunking sound gone, as was the noisy exhaust. Cost... $0.

Just a thought.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts