Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about chipping the engine on my 9000s, who do all recommend to buy parts and get advice?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
As Ylee, but companies to look at include Maptun, Abbott, Speedparts and BSR.

I have Speedparts, but if Maptun was available at the time, I would have bought Maptun. See maptun.com for further details.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
well...
sorry to be a pedant
what I have found out recently is ...
if the car is trionic there are two eprom chips holding the map..
these can be replaced with others holding different maps
so you are both right
practically they remove the chips and re-map them so they still hold all the "other stuff" which these chips hold... for tcs/alarm etc
I believe on the 93 trionic board the chips are hard wired..later ones they use a holder ..

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Mark E:
[qb]  QUOTE
Originally posted by ylee coyote:
[qb] I believe on  the 93 trionic board the chips are hard wired..later ones they use a holder .. [/qb][/b]
Correct. [/qb][/b][/quote]Not necessarily. Yes, the '93 EPROMs are soldered in, but so are all the later ones I've seen too. The difference is that the '94-on chips are reprogrammable in-situ, which is how Maptun do it. Other tuners might remove the chips, especially if they don't have the special equipment required to do the job in-situ. If they did this, it would be logical to fit sockets when they refit the chips, for easier removal in the future. This may be why people have seen socketed chips.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts