Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
once again i need some help i have the above message , the emissions report at the mot said that the engine was running hot and the mixture was lean. i get like a "kangarooing" effect at 2000 revs in each gear. i,ve taken the inlet manifold of and cleaned the fst idle and checked the hoses and it runs a bit better but is definitely lacking power . is it the ecu? and if so can they be fixed ?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
9000 cse 2.3 150k .
when i switch the ignition on there are no flashes once i start the engine the check engine warning comes on . off to maidenhead next week for air con thanks . does any of this make sense?

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
If it's showing the light when running, it should have stored a code. You have to turn the ignition on and wait a little while, then it starts to flash.

Failing that, a trip to BPV in Slough for a computer diagnosis seems to be in order.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ive tried switching on the ignition no flashing waited 10min still zip turned the engine on bingo check engine . the check is underlined the engine is not. the problem seems to be more pronounced after a run [ im not going too far at present in fear of burning out the valves ] any ideas.?

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Weird. I'd take it for a spot of computer diagnosis. Your nearest dealer is Ian Allan Motors, Sandhills Lane, Virginia Water, Surrey, GU25 4BT, Tel. (01344) 842801. I've never used them, except to buy the odd part. However I have used Haymill Saab, Beaconsfield Road, Farnham Common, Slough, Berkshire, SL2 3HX, Tel. (01753) 609595. They are not far from you, and have done some computer diagnosis for me, charging a reasonable 10 or 15 minutes labour for the privilege. Or there's BPV as mentioned previously.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by sandyt:
[qb]9000 cse 2.3 150k .[/qb][/b]
Which year? Turbo or not? Only turbo models from '93-on had Trionic and perhaps some later non-turbos too. Non-Trionic cars didn't have this handy fault-code display feature and their codes have to be read by other means.

I'd agree with Mark that there's no point groping in the dark when a dealer can read any stored fault codes (there must be at least one to make the "Check Engine" light come on) and should charge very little. I've never had the engine codes read, but reading the ABS fault codes on my Aero cost me around £20.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
an update and maybe the results can help someone else . when i arrived at bpv they suggested it may be the air mass generator [without even having the car running ] therefore i assume it to be a common fault . they replaced it with a 2nd hand one for £100 which i thought was pretty good and the car is now running like a dream they also pressure tested the air con and that is newly gassed up and working . so thank you for all the help without it id have given up . estimate to get car through mot £1000 plus parts - total cost £425 which includes a new exhaust 2 new tyres aircon regassed and a replacement air mass generator once again thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts