Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a Saab 9000CS on N plate(96). I got in the car this morning and couldn't put the car in 1st or second. I then tried 3rd and fourth that seemed ok, fifth was having problems too and reverse would not engage either. The cluth felt a little lighter also...(cluth had been replaced only (10,000 miles ago/10 months ago). I tried a few times and about after 4 mins of the engine running all the gears started to engage. I decided not to drive the car in the end. Does anybody have any ideas on what could be the problem...is this a common fault???

The prevous owner had a problem engaging 2nd and fourth gears about a year ago and he took it in to Swedish car centre and they changed some gearbox selectors and that solved the problem. In my case however the car went in to gear after a few mins. any ideas guys on problem and costs?

I just hope i don't need to buy a new gearbox

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Two Possibilties, both common faults I'm afraid.
1. Rubber coupling in gear change shaft behind gearbox is disintergating. When this fails you will experience difficulty in selecting 1st/2nd and top/reverse - sounds like your problem.
2. Seals failing in clutch master cylinder. This fails to fully disengage he clutch which can make selection of any gear difficult or impossible accompanied with a reluctance of the gear lever to move in the desired direction.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I agree with Derek's suggestion of the rubber coupler. That is a common failure and will produce exactly the symptom you describe. It's not expensive and not too hard to change yourself, although access is a bit tight.

I think a dealer charged me about £60 to do it.

In an emergency, you can cable-tie it together but it is a safety device and is designed to shear in a front-end collision to avoid pushing the gear lever up into the cabin, so should eventually be fixed properly. Trouble is, after a while it shears anyway, as you are finding out...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys. I have been told there are two seals, one inside the gearbox and one outside. The outside one is cheap, the inside one is very expensive as it involves opening up the gearbox....which if the two normally gives the problems described.???

Also if it is the clutch master cylinder, how long and how much does it normally cost???

Thanks Yasin

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Yasman, I'd investigate the rubber coupler first as failure of this part will give exactly the symptoms you describe. If it were a clutch problem (slave cylinder or master cylinder), you would have equal trouble with all gears. A characteristic of a failed coupler is that 3rd and 4th give much less trouble than the other gears.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts