Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP!

I've got a 9000T which has just failed the MOT on ABS sensor - got that fixed, (main dealer suggested that it might cost £800ish - did'nt really want to know), Handbrake - got that fixed, but I'm really stuck on the emission levels, the mot garage would have fixed it if they could have found it, and I can't find it in the Haynes manual. I really don't want to get rid of it cos' it's been so reliable. Anybody know where my ***** ***** is? Any tips/pointers would really be appreciated.

Sad Saab Oxford

·
Registered
547 Posts
Welcome to the site sandra.

Ah yes, the ***** *****, many people have difficulty locating it, especially as there's nothing under ***** in the Haynes index .

I'm not sure if you have deliberately starred this out or if its the sites sweary word blocker coming into play but you might want to repost with the component name and the year and type of engine in the car and I'm sure that some of the techy gurus will be along to help you out in due course. If you're unsure of your cars details you can find a VIN decoder at HTTP://www.saab9000.com

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Very unusual for a Saab to fail an emissions test. What year, model and engine is your 9000T?
It may be a sensor which is out of spec unless the engine is very worn.
On early models there is a mixture adjustment on the Air Mass Meter (AMM) but later models offer no adjustment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome to the site sandra
Thank you Gordy
The *blank* was because I didn't know what the thingy that controls the emissions is.
I'll try again.

HELP!

I've got an '89 9000 Turbo 16 5D M which has just failed the MOT on ABS sensor - got that fixed, (main dealer suggested that it might cost £800ish - did'nt really want to know), Handbrake - got that fixed, but I'm really stuck on the emission levels, the mot garage would have fixed it if they could have found it, and I can't find it in the Haynes manual. I really don't want to get rid of it cos' it's been so reliable. Anybody know how to lower my CO emission. Any tips/pointers would really be appreciated.

It failed cos the CO emmision was too high.

Oh by the way this afternoon the main dealer sugested punching a hole in something to find a screw - which wasn't there!

Sad Saab Oxford

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Hi Sandra and welcome to Saabscene... you don't need a new profile every time you post though...

The screw he was looking for would be the one on the air mass meter (AMM). This controls the CO emissions at idle. Turn it anticlockwise to lower them.

The AMM can be found in the intake pipe from the air filter in the front left wheel arch to the turbo.

Other than that, you should make sure your plugs are OK and possibly use an injector cleaner. A faulty cat will have more effect on HC levels, but that doesn't matter because a car of your age doesn't have to have a cat.

The fail level for CO is 3.5%, which is fairly high.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry guys not really trying to confuse you but I left my password at work.

Thanks Mark, I think this is the sort of info that I need. I'll get my 'super spanner' to try that. I'll let you know how I get on.

I'ts an F reg 1985cc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your advice, especially Mark E for telling me exactly what I needed to know without using joined up writing.

One very Happy black Saab back boming around Oxford.

Sandra

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.