Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took Pete's old classic 900 to Emerald on Monday to get the injectors mapped and this is one of the graphs. We also had a bit of a mini Saabscene meet with me, Tandino, Scearo and John/. The first run of the day produced 258.9bhp, but I think Dave didn't save it. Later ones (like this) were slightly lower due to heat soak, but may well have broken the 260 barrier as the injectors were then mapped properly.

As you can see, the figures are pretty healthy, translating into a car than feels awesomely quick on the road.

However, the APC is causing a spike by reeling in the boost, so consideration is now being given as to which direction to take. One is to buy and Emerald ecu, which can take care of pretty much everything, including the second set of injectors, albeit at the best part of a grand with the mapping.

For those interested, John/'s photo's of the day may be seen at http://www.saabphotos.com/gallery/emerald_20041220

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
noice...

Big pull back on the apc tho ...is it not possible to rein the power rise so it does not go into detonation?
too much fuel too early ?

the emerald turnkey proposition is quite appealing ..I have a couple of cars that might benefit ..

·
Registered
661 Posts
The torque curve is being pulled back by the apc which is currently running passive mod - ie f pot defeated..
This means that to increase peak boost the boost rise rate goes up - ok upto a certain point but trying to get the car over 18psi at high rpm is problematical as the boost is coming in too aggresively low down and causing det - once the apc pulls back the boost after the spike it starts to come together but boost is still limited to 18psi due to compromising the rise rate versus max boost.
Really the car needs either a boost controller ie Apexi AVC-R or similar or to go fully mapped as Jez has mentioned.
Alternatives are Megajolt on the ignition side of things as this should release some top end power without running any more boost at all.

Pete.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Originally posted by ylee coyote:
[qb]Big pull back on the apc tho ...is it not possible to rein the power rise so it does not go into detonation?
too much fuel too early ?

[/qb][/b]
I would tend to suggest the opposite, not enough fuel causing a lean mixture, temperature rise & detonation.

Having said that my experience is with turbos of the Porsche variety.....but FWIW I think that torque curve would translate to a horrific flat spot on the road.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
On the road, you might be right, carrera, but on a rolling road heat soak is far more of a problem so if you give it too much welly early on, temps rise quickly and then you end up with it having to cut back higher up.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fuelling is pretty much spot on as it was set up on the rolling road. I don't think that was the smoothest graph - it was one of several runs and I am still waiting for Emerald to send me the other data.

It doesn't feel as if there is a horrific flatspot at all, so I think the final set-up is less spikey.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Having driven that same Saab from Norfolk to Essex on the day of the rolling road run, I can confirm that there is no flatspot at any point in the rev range.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Having driven John/'s 9-3 from Norfolk to Essex, I can confirm that his car feels fantastic! The rear ARB upgrade seems to make a similar difference to my 9000.

Pretty good result at Emerald, too...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts