Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spotted Elk parts have a relay that you can adjust the intermittent wiper time delay with.

If anyone has got one - how do you adjust the time delay ?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Adjustment is done via the wiper stalk:

Set the stalk to intermittant and after one wipe, switch it to the off position. Then wait for the desired time period (anytime from 2 secs to 45 secs) and switch it back to intermittant and leave it there. The delay is then set.

The relay is a direct replacement on all c900s, 9000s and the late 99 with int. wipers.

Hope this helps.

Julian
Elkparts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Why not make a delay wiper system using a variable resistor (Pot) to decide when you want the system to wipe your screen for you. It's not like you need a degree in electronics or anything.

In previous cars I have made a "box of tricks" which allows you to vary the time between wipes via a potentiometer. You decide the minumum & maximum times allowable for a single wipe in the resitance curve of the POT you use with the box of electronics. (Believe me, there isn't much electronics needed).

As long as the wiper motor is of the 4 wire type then this is easy to knock up.

Who needs Volkswagon relays?? - I don't!

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
It's your choice, 900016Turbo, but why go to all that hassle when the relays are so keenly priced anyway?

Oh, and your Saab will be full of components that are also used in other motors - so a German relay won't do it any harm ;-)

/john

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I have built a simple intermittent wiper control in the past using a 555 timer chip, etc. I agree it is easy for an amatuer electronics enthusiast.

But it takes time, and you need a spare switch location on the dashboard (unless you commit sacriledge and drill a hole in your dash panel!

G

·
for the sake of just plugging in a new relay that costs a few quid, I am surprised that some want to go to such extravagant lengths to save a few pence.

Yes, it probably works, and can be done simply by anyone with time and interest - but for tha majority of us I think i will just plug in a new realy, thanks

RR

·
Registered
183 Posts
<Snip>
It's your choice, 900016Turbo, but why go to all that hassle when the relays are so keenly priced anyway?
<End>

For the simple knowledge that "I made that & it's better than the relay option cos it's totally variable within a chosen time window simply by rotating the knob". )

Call it pride if you will but I prefer the word satisfaction.

<Snip>
for the sake of just plugging in a new relay that costs a few quid, I am surprised that some want to go to such extravagant lengths to save a few pence.
<End>

Sometimes the money side just isn't important. Sometimes it's nice to give yourself a little project. Keeps the mind focussed & alive. Yes we can all rush round & buy the relay & I dare say if I were one of you I'd probably have the same views as yourselves. Maybe in a few days you'll fancy having a go at making something for your car that I & others will not be interested in. That's lifes lottery I guess.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I purchased the wiper delay for 13.99 +small amount of postage. It came next day.

The relay on a 93' 9000 will be in the same place as mine, behind the glove box.

Take out 6 screws that hold in glove box & remove glove box. Next undo 2 screws that hold fuse holder in place and gently lower fuse holder to reveal loads of relays. The wiper timer relay is furthest forward on left. There should be a relay diagram on top of glove box. Apart from needing a 'star' allen key job is very simple and takes 20 mins tops.

The timer works a treat.

I must admit to being a complete electrical coward, but its so easy to just swap the unit I really would'nt bother making one, especially when you then don't have to bother dismantling half the dash board to fit a pot.

Regards

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I purchased the wiper delay for 13.99 +small amount of postage. It came next day.

The relay on a 93' 9000 will be in the same place as mine, behind the glove box.

Take out 6 screws that hold in glove box & remove glove box. Next undo 2 screws that hold fuse holder in place and gently lower fuse holder to reveal loads of relays. The wiper timer relay is furthest forward on left. There should be a relay diagram on top of glove box. Apart from needing a 'star' allen key job is very simple and takes 20 mins tops.

The timer works a treat.

I must admit to being a complete electrical coward, but its so easy to just swap the unit I really would'nt bother making one, especially when you then don't have to bother dismantling half the dash board to fit a pot.

Regards

1 - 18 of 18 Posts