Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there again, I only seem to post when something else goes wrong! Driving to work this morning there was some sort of click behind the dash. Not sure though

Then as the journeey went on, things got bad, if you used the indicator or accelerated hard the radio would go off for a second, the lights would dim. The volt readout did not seem to drop much though. I work reasonably near my saab dealer so I said I would pull in - too early for them to be there. When i turned off the car there was no electrical power, the alarm just went off, would not even turn over. This happened a week ago but after ten minutes the electrical power returned to normal and the car started perfectly.

Is is a bad ground, dodgy battery (never replaced car now on 113k, 9000 CD 2.0lpt). I will ring the dealer when he gets there and see but any help in the meantime. He has to replace the front passenger ABS sensor anyway.

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
The battery is a possibility. I had intermitent problems on my Aero some time ago. A battery shop declared the battery healthy and just about flatly refused to replace it. On the way home, I braked for a roundabout and everything went dead briefly. I was booked into the dealer the next day for other work and they checked the battery to find a dead cell. One (expensive) Saab battery later, everything was fine and has been ever since. I believe that modern batteries fail when a conductive sludge builds up at the bottom and eventually shorts the plates. I assume my problems were occurring when the sludge moved around.

I have had 5 9000s now and the only one I haven't had to replace the battery on was one that had a brand new battery when I bought it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bill,
I like the car, well I like the 9000s and doing about 600-700 miles per week, I can only expect to have repairs, these are not toyota deisels we run!!

I am really eager to change for another 9000 especially an anniversary model CS, I have the money available, just the only problem is getting my hands on one over here in Ireland. I galls me to see the amount available in England etc. I am not sure about going down the 9-5 route yet, they are not cheap enough over here yet to compare against a good 9000, if you can find one.

on the electrical problem, the dealer also thought it may be a bad cell in he battery and I will know this afternoon. I bought the car through them and keep it serviced there so they have a full history for it.

€160 plus fitting (€€) for the ABS sensor, but with the travelling I do it is better to have it right

·
Registered
85 Posts
I agree on the dead cell/sludge diagnosis. I had all sort of lighting, wiper and even what I thought was a dying DI unit when the car would cut out under prolonged acceleration. It took until the car was intermittently dead on starting for the dead/shorted cell to be able to be diagnosed.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help, I had the battery replaced yesterday and no bothers this morning.

It is going back in for the ABS sensor today. I hate to spend money like this when I want to get rid of it, but with the braking it is better not to take chances!

Found an anniversary 9000 near me for sale, private sale though which would mean having to get rid of mine privately - don't fancy my chances. He is looking fro quite a bit for it too - 97 2.0t 55k €12k. 9-5s are beginning to come through at that money. Will have to think about it all!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Originally posted by Haggag01:
[qb]ABS sensor passenger side, I just fitted a second-hand from neo bros 3 weeks ago, 1hr job, cost £50, I also prefer to have abs working but refuse to pay dealer prices. [/qb][/b]
I also refuse to pay too much for having my ANTI LOCK off, so I wento to a junkyard, disinstalled two front wheel sensors from '89, paied 50 euros for both (with warranty! I could have had them for 30 euros, but without warranty), went home, disinstalled my old sensors and put in the "new" ones. Still working good, after 1 year.

9-5s are beginning to come through at that money. Will have to think about it all![/b]
9-5s aren't hatchbacks, only wagons wich is not that elegant and definately not sporty IMHO, and they didn't came as loaded as 9ks did. (No heated seats, no leather, no cruise control... for cars in stock form and for Italian market, at least).
Just wanted to share my pointless point of wiew...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts