Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I think I posted this before but I wanted a fresh set of views before I go to Saab with this one.

This is an intermitent problem. Put key in ignition and turn to pre-start (or what ever the correct name is for it). Normally the full dash, trip computer, cruise control and stero would light up. Now sometimes the dash and trip computer are dead and only the cruise and stero come on. What makes it worse is when the dash and trip comp are dead, the engine turns over but it does not fire. After a few minutes of removing key / turning ignition back and forward, the dash & trip light up and the car starts first time.

Any electrical boffins know how the dash & trip are linked and how this could stop the engine from firing? Possibly linked to the immobiliser?

I would like to have some idea before I go to Saab with it as my loacl electrical garage just wanted to replace everything (don't think they had a clue).

One or thing... one time I did get it started, I noticed the instrument panel was very dim, so just to see what would happen I turn my lights on. The dash and trip comp went off and the engine died. Turn the key back and forward a couple of times, dash lite up again and away she went.

Any comments / suggerstions appreciated.

·
Registered
135 Posts
In my case when I encountered exactly those symptoms, it was the ignition switch (electrical bit not the barrel) which was easily diagnosed and replaced by a local non-Saab mechanic.

It's a fairly cheap repair too - it only took him 30 minutes.

HTH

absgt

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.