Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Without warning my driver side electric window has stopped working. I know I'm just gonna have to get in there and find the fault...but I was hoping that their was a common cause of this problem so that I could look at that first?? There are no noises from the motor in the door, so I assume it is more likely to be an electrical fault than a mechanical one?

Cheers for any advice or experience of a similar fault
Kev

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Judging by the fact that whenever I see a 9000 in the scrappers, the central switch cluster has always already been removed, I presume that the switches do fail. I would lift up the switch cluster and see if you can plug the driver's window wiring into another switch and see if it works.

·
Registered
66 Posts
hi my 9000 has dodgy window switches if I connect them up the passanger window comes down and wont go back up but all the others work fine so I would think that it is the centre window switches. hope this helps

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi

I would lift up the switch cluster and see if you can plug the driver's window wiring into another switch and see if it works.[/b]
You can't do this because the switch unit has a multiplug underneath. the only way to isolate the window switch is to strip down the Switch block and remove the switch., not impossible but takes a bit of time.
I have two spare switch blocks if you need to try one for elimination although my drivers window has developed the same problem and I know it's not the switch. I was going to the srappies at the weekend for a motor but got sidetracked, so this weekend i'm off to strip one out of a CSE i know of that looks OK.

Cheers C

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I think I'll have a go at the central switch cluster first...shame that the wire-swapping idea is a no-go though. I may just dismantle the switch cluster for a clean tonight. It'll be too dark to do much else on the door. The window unfortunately is stuck in the down position, sounds like your problem Tristian, except that I don't know if it that the switch that sends the window up has failed, or that something else has failed while the window happens to have been down (things do seem to rattle about a bit in the door when it is closed with the window down, but then so do the other doors which are still working.
Kev

·
Registered
66 Posts
well i just striped mine out cleaned it now the drivers side and the passanger side have a life of there own and the switches now work back to front still i got the windows up and disconected the switch. anyone know where i can get one from cheap.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tristian, you'll have to let me know how you got the switches to work back to front as I have always thought mine to work the wrong way round. I always press it the close way when trying to open it.

I think the only way you are going to get a cheep on is to either go to a scrappy, or try one of the on-line breakers.
Kev

·
Registered
66 Posts
thanks back to front was easy i took it apart forgot about the loose relay switche inside and they all fell out so I guessed how they came out got it wrong and hey presto. if you are interested there are some window switches on e bay somewhere I dont know if theis will help you at all.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by tristian:
[qb]thanks back to front was easy i took it apart forgot about the loose relay switche inside and they all fell out so I guessed how they came out got it wrong and hey presto.    [/qb][/b]
Nice description mate I'll have to see if I can replicate your comedy protocol

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi all
Well, it turned out to be crud on the switch terminals, so thanks to all, but especially those who gave instructions on how to overhaul the switch cluster
. I didn't manage to put the contact/rockers back in the wrong way, so it still works as original
Kev

1 - 14 of 14 Posts