Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The controls for my driver's side Electric seats seems to have partially broken i.e.up/down ok; fore/aft ok but Seat back only moves in one direction by switch but moves in both directions using memory settings. No signs of any loose wires. Before I delve deeper this evening is there any thing obvious to look for? Is the switch repairable or do I need a replacement before I start? Many thanks.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Well ****** me, I think i'm talking to myself!

I had this on my Aero and it's a pretty easy fix.

The seat operator is a little "T" thing where the bottom of the T is connected to the button and the horizontal bit is used to pull either of two switches. The problem is that if either of the leaves of the T snaps, which is what happened to me, you can pull the other way but then can't restore the seat.

As you have identified, the seat is still ok because the memory works.

My fix is the patented "irritating plastic bit that glue won't fix" repair.

Glue won't help you because it's a small piece of plastic and is under tension to pull the switch. It might work but get a passenger give it a bit too much effort and it'll just fracture on the glue join.

What I do to repair plastic like this is to use a soldering iron and melt in a couple of wire rods, just like forming reinforced concrete and then as a final touch, also melt in some fine copper braid on the flat sides. I use desolder wick for this as it's very fine and a good size.

Final finishing touch is to rub the molten plastic around and over the braid to make a nice smooth job.

This will provide plenty of mechanical strength and costs next to nothing to fix.

David.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Thinner, it's a pretty thin piece of plastic. Single core PCB interconnect is about right, not sure of the SWG but just something to provide some mechanical strength.

You'll need to dismantle the switch to get at it but that should be obvious. It's not too hard a job and you can remove the switch without removing the seat.

David.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.