Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My aerial came up & popped out a while ago. I pushed it back in & it has worked since but without fully retracting.
This evening when pulling proudly into my local garage to fill up for the first time, I switched off & got out. Instead of rapturous applause I could only hear my aerial desperately hammering away like a pneumatic drill trying to fully retract. It refused to stop until I hit the c/lock remote button. Later, even that didn't work & it now routinely hammers away for fully 30 seconds or more, & it ain't ashamed to do it in company. Its one of those noises that attracts attention, bit like farting really & just as embarrassing. Anyone had same & know of a cure (& if anyone mentions baked beans or sprouts
)
On the plus side, the hazards didn't work when I got it & today the indicators stopped as well. I read all the relay / switch stuff on here - but I go my own way, a swift thump under where the relay is housed & bingo - I have indicators & hazards! And I reset the fuel computer per topics thanks - up from 21mpg to 34mpg & still rising
wonder how much stick the previous owner gave her though

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that's where I went wrong Leo
. Having read about such problems on here (while it was working perfectly!)I took the precaution of squirting & rubbing on WD40 when fully ***** (no, extended) - & the very next time it came up, it over-extended, popped out & hung limply over the rear wing
Needless to say I was momentarily struck dumb, but soon found a few choice words for the missus who thought it was funny

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks sgould, not worth messing about with then. are they a Saab part or a halfords job?
I've just found out my sister works with wife of a local Saab main dealer manager - I was due a change of luck

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've just been reading up on some old posts & it seems as if the aerial is only supposed to extend when you switch on the radio. Mine extends when I switch the ignition on, whether the radio is on or off. Is that OK or is it wrongly wired? Its a JVC radio cassette with remote control & wiring into boot for CD, presumably not Saab supplied / fitted? Oh & fitting is described as "a pig" - so how much for fitting (if there IS anyone who hasn't fitted their own!)

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
I think these days some work if the unit is live. Radio /CD /tape.

If aerial goes up with unit off and just ignition on. I think it's wrongly wired.

Someone posted that they put on a CD in a carwash and lost the aerial

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
I've fitted two.

The one that was difficult was the one that was bent down flat (caught a low branch) and the tube was kinked and flattened. Had to re-round to get the old bit out - near impossible.

The other one that lost its top and stayed round was fairly straightforward.

Mind you, neither were on Saabs

·
Registered
250 Posts
Had the same problem with mine. Tried the WD40 trick which worked for a while, but eventually the whole thing packed up.

I managed to buy a complete 2nd hand aerial unit off E-bay (£16 + postage), which allowed me to swap the whole thing out. Works fine now, no more embarrassing CLACK-CLACK-CLACK in public (ahem!)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well, against my better judgement & sgould's advice I've just taken the whole thing out for a good look. took the cover plate off the motor & switched on - the toothed plastic inner reversed right off the motor & was a pig to get back in. It's all back in place now

unfortunately it now neither fully retracts nor fully extends

plus, the bl**dy boot carpet/lining seems to have shrunk while it was pulled out, must've been the blood off me knuckles

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.