Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having bought the Koni kit a couple of years ago, I have come to the conclusion that my suspension is a bit on the harsh side this is after haing driven other 9000's with the Abbott setup etc.
I have the Koni's on the softest settings but still feel every bug on the road
The kit was supplied with springs made buy a company starting with the letter "V"...can't remember the name. At the time of purchase I did look them up on the net and found them to be a very cheap brand.
I have seen posts in the past stating that Eilbach springs are the best for the 9k, does anybody have these? what is the ride quality like.
I know that Eilbach stopped making them for the 9k some time ago but there is a source selling them for 150 squids brand new. I may be tempted at that price if they are as good as people say.

Steve

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I can't comment on the Eibach springs but I found that with the Abbott springs, the ride was truly awful with the Konis set really soft. I stiffened them up quite a bit and with them controlling the springs much better, the ride was (in my subjective opinion) better than the standard Aero suspension. Firmer, yes, but much less choppy.

Just a thought before you go the whole hog and change the springs.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by BillJ:
[qb]with the Abbott springs, the ride was truly awful with the Konis set really soft. I stiffened them up quite a bit and with them controlling the springs much better, the ride was (in my subjective opinion) better than the standard Aero suspension. Firmer, yes, but much less choppy.
[/qb][/b]
Hmm. I'm about to soften mine (also Abbott springs/Konis). I've got them on as soft as they go on the front, and one turn (as they've always been) on the rear.

Turning them down on the front helped the ride a lot so I was hoping it would help at the rear too. Am I about to do the wrong thing?

The ride is *dramatically* better with the car fully loaded with four people and (I think) better still with four people and a boot full of luggage, which makes me think lowering the rebound rate (which is what I think softening Konis actually changes) is the right thing to do.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Abbott told me they have had at least three different spec's of springs over the years. I've had two different one's on my current car.
The spec' it had on it when I bought it were shorter (can't say by how much) and stiffer than the set they put on last year.
The difference is chalk and cheese. The newer set are far more comfortable and handle both small movement (potholes) and large undulations far better with my Koni dampers.
With the stiff springs the nose of the car bobbed up and down over the larger undulations, extremely noticable at night with headlights on.
The best compromise for the dampers with the stiff springs was 75% of max (and I tried many settings). This lead to a very firm ride but it felt controlled. Less damping made the wheels thump down into potholes as the springs overcame the lack of damper control.
The new springs, being much softer, give the dampers an easier time. The damping is set to around 20% of max' giving a comfortable ride over poor surfaces (they almost all are in East Sussex - you have to travel hundreds of miles to find anywhere as bad as it is around here
), but on the flipside the body is far better controlled at all speeds as well.
The above might seem illogical, but I think that's why suspension set up is often referred to as a black art.
Nick.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Originally posted by Steve-Stg 2:
[qb]Having bought the Koni kit a couple of years ago, I have come to the conclusion that my suspension is a bit on the harsh side this is after haing driven other 9000's with the Abbott setup etc.
I have the Koni's on the softest settings but still feel every bug on the road      
The kit was supplied with springs made buy a company starting with the letter "V"...can't remember the name. At the time of purchase I did look them up on the net and found them to be a very cheap brand.
I have seen posts in the past stating that Eilbach springs are the best for the 9k, does anybody have these? what is the ride quality like.
I know that Eilbach stopped making them for the 9k some time ago but there is a source selling them for 150 squids brand new. I may be tempted at that price if they are as good as people say.

Steve [/qb][/b]
The springs of the kit are Vogtland springs from Germany. They are not the best and very stiff.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Also, how many poly bushes do you have? I removed all but one engine mount, the rear ARB bushes and front wishbones. That made a heck of an improvement to ride quality with little or no perceived difference to handling.

My dampers are set to 2 turns on the front and one turn on the rear and are not old Abbott springs. However, my front springs are shorter and stiffer than the stock front jobs.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I should add that I had Koni dampers and springs on my Elise. I have just upgraded to Bilstein dampers and Eibach springs. Although the Eibach springs are a lot stiffer than the old ones, the ride quality is much improved. Now I'm not suggesting that people rush out and buy Bilstein shocks for 9000's as I think that particular model is pretty unsophisticated. But, I think it's easy to blame springs when perhaps the fault may lie elsewhere?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Much food for thought!
The best setup I drove was an Aero with the Abbott setup the car belonged to Heyes at the time and was fitted with Koni shocks and Abbott springs, compared to my setup it was firm but very comfortable.
I have tried various settings along with changing tyre pressure (225x45...don't help)
The best settings so far has been as soft as possible which is still very harsh.

mxl thanks for reminding me of the name "Vogtland" as you stated they are known to be very cheap and very stiff.
As for polly the only change I have made is the rear arb bushes, mainly due to many posters here changing back to rubber.
If I were to change my existing springs I think Eibach and the Abbott springs would be my 2 choices £150 for Eibach or £190+Vat for Abbott.

A shot with the Abbott setup is in order again I think!

Steve

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Just to add - I have Abbott springs (1yr old) and Konis on the Aero.
Konis - 1.5 rear and 0.75 front.

The ride is frim and the body is very well controlled - there's a big change in damping between 0.5 and 0.75 on the front. 0.75 gives much better turn in and is just on the edge of being too hard (for me).

But to my point - I just changed tyres to Eagle F1s and have now lost the fidgety feel I had before, expecially at low speed. I seem to have all the handling benefits and a relatively better ride quality now - so dont forget tyres (especially low profiles) in the equation.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
tyres are one of the biggest factors and cannot be ignored
the F1 is a relatively comfy tyre with a lot of sidewall compliance
On the other hand my last tyre (toyo proxes t1r )were quite harsh but had very nice turn in I have just gone back to f1's for everyday use but I would choose the toyo's for a trackday
The f1's best setting are about a turn and a half on the koni's while the toyo's were just about 3/4 of a turn
unfortunately these things are trial and error and I have found the acceptable balance with the goodyears at the tyre size I run and the springs I use (roc)
I think it is nearly impossible to try and make a prediction/reccomendation as with all the variations in the equation
ie tyres ,amount of poly bushes, tyre size,springs,dampers,tyre pressures....
and also the cars will vary
In saying this I have heard great things about eibach springs for a number of cars

you pays your money...

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by JezmondTutu:
[qb] Now I'm not suggesting that people rush out and buy Bilstein shocks for 9000's as I think that particular model is pretty unsophisticated.[/qb][/b]
Unsophisticated.....which, those particular Bilstein's or the 9000's suspension design in general...

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Suspension is a complete system- it's not just about the springs or shocks. It also includes the tyres, bushes, unsprung wheel weight etc etc.

Wheel size makes a big difference. So a particular spring/shock combination that works well with say a 16" wheel may not work so well with a 17" or even 18".

Although there may be better performing shocks than the Konis, it will rely on them being correctly matched with the rest of the set up- which is where the Konis come in to their own as they are adjustable.

When I first put the 18's on my car the ride was intolerably harsh, so I've removed the front poly ARB and drop link bushes and replaced them with stock rubber.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts