Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the rear shocks of our 9-5 are worn, I would like to upgrade thel with something better.

Now since I don't want to lower the car, is it wise to put eibach shocks on together with the original springs?

Marc

·
Registered
374 Posts
they do make shocks....

Eibach shocks

I have no clue if you could fit them or not..I dont see why you couldnt but if you dont get any answers here I suggest ask your dealer.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
I read it differently - that the springs in the Pro-kit were designed around OE dampers and after-market dampers, but their dampers were designed purely with the pro-kit springs in mind. It's not very clear though, I admit, so I'm probably wrong, just for a change...

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've got a set of Eibach dampers and springs (from Elkparts, if I'm allowed to say that) fitted on my '98 9-5 SE, and the transformation is unbelieveable. I was worried the ride might be too harsh but it is arguabley better than standard. Well worth the money.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
A set of Konis will work great with stock springs, Marky. I had Konis on my 9-3 for about a year before the H&R springs and the ride was much more controlled. I think they work so well because of the adjustability.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I'd go along with Eric, if I was just changing the shocks I'd go for the Konis - they transformed my 9000 turbo a few years ago.

Can't agree with Guy though, I have the Eibach kit on my 9-5 and although it has smoothed out in the 5000 miles or so that I've done on them, the actual ride still is not brilliant IMHO. But, the car is more comfortable to drive because of the reduced body roll and more controlled body movement. Sounds perverse but true! What I can say is that the ride was outstanding when the car was fully loaded on holiday - yet still controlled, no excessive roll. Personally, I think Eibach have got their sums slightly wrong and the spring rate is perhaps too high - too hard?

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by MikeLoadsaSaabs:
[qb]Can't agree with Guy though, I have the Eibach kit on my 9-5 and although it has smoothed out in the 5000 miles or so that I've done on them, the actual ride still is not brilliant IMHO.   [/qb][/b]
It's an interesting subject this one. For a long time before I did my suspension I read a lot of info and feedback from people that had it. But reading about it can not tell you everything - the best way to find out is to try it for yourself.

I was a passenger in MarkA's 9-3TiD at Goodwood last year - IIRC he is running on Eibach springs and Koni shocks.

I have actually driven Leon's 9-5 and JohnM's 9-5 both of which have the Eibach springs and shocks.

After a lot of thought I decided to go down the full Eibach route and am very pleased that I did. The ride quality of the 9-3 was improved beyond expectation - it is now a joy to drive.

Of course, with a 30mm drop and 17" alloys with tyres at 35psi the ride can be a little harsh on poorly surfaced urban roads, but I can live with that since most of my motoring is winding country roads (
) or big A-roads (
) or motorways ( )

I think that anyone considering a suspension upgrade really needs to drive vehicles that already have the upgrade done.

The problem with suspension is that it is so subjective. I like the suspension on my 9-3, but I have driven 9000s where the suspension is to harsh for my liking.

You pays your money, you takes your choice - but try and do that after driving someone elses Saab first - perhaps at one of the many SSc meets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts