Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've had an EGR filter issue for over a year. (I really don't drive much).

But its coming up to MOT time, and I need to sort it. My mechanic is adamant there is nothing wrong with the EGR filter or its valve (he gave it a once over whilst changing a wheel bearing, so hasn't done a through investigation yet). What else could be causing the check engine light code relating to EGR? Is there a circuit or solenoid or something I could take a look at?

Happy to spend £150 on a new EGR filter, unless thats not the problem and its a circuit somewhere causing the error code.

Many thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,693 Posts
elfabyanos,

What code are you getting with your CEL ? Most likely your problem is related to the DPF ( Diesel Particulate Filter ) rather than the EGR. I have had this with a couple of 1.9 diesel 9-5s. I took the DPF off and cleaned them out with Mr Muscle oven cleaner. In one case it was so bad it needed a heat up over a bonfire to do a sort of regen. I got it hot enough to ignite the carbon build up and set it alight by blowing compressed air through it. These cars need an Italian tune up ( driven hard ) periodically to do a proper regen. 20 mins or so on the motorway at 70 in 4th.

Paul @ Kippen

1 - 2 of 2 Posts