Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I'm in a bit of a pickle withrefards to the egr blanking kits! I'm having the dpf gutted and also having it deleted along with the egr the problem I'm having is what blanking kit do I need I've seen some with the oval plate and some have just the square plate and some have both?! Also would the 150bhp 16 valve ones fit my 08 120bhp. I'm just so confused as to which one I need. One more be I go is it just the egr valve itself I need to remove or is there more to it than that. Sorry for so many questions and thank you in advance any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also just found another type with the oval shape with a few holes in? I'm just so confused :persevere::persevere:

·
Administrator
5,133 Posts
needs to have a hole in the plate..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks aerojohn and do I just remove the egr and that's it fit the plate with holes and job done ? Sorry for all the questions just want to do it properly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wasn't sure as the mechanic said I would need to blanking off? I won't to stop all the carbon carp getting into the engine as I mainly do short trips. I've had the dpf gutted and mapped off as well as the egr. I've bought a blanking plate and thought I'd fit it any way and I was going to leave the egr in place but block it with the plate where the gasket goes. Hoping the car will be a bit more responsive lower in the revs.

·
Registered
212 Posts
mine is blanked at the Manifold (square plate)
and at the turbo end (oval plate)
EGR cooler pipeworkwent porous on mine after I blanked the EGR
Mine passed mot last year with the EML light on (albeit mine is a 16v 150) when I gutted my DPF though the light went out and has stayed off since...not quite sure why...but happy enough :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so just got back from garage and dpf has been gutted and deleted and egr deleted as well happy to say the car is now running again after a collapsed dpf apparently! Car does seem to pull better than it ever has but not amazingly but much better. I'm now getting a whistle around 3500 rpm? What could this be guys? I'm now afraid something else has gone wrong but doesn't feel like it. Its not the turbo whistle but something else. Could this be because I havnt blanked the egr yet?

Mrf you say your cooler pipe has gone porous and what do you mean exactly I'm not very technically minded and does this cause more problems. Should I be getting the square plate as well?

Thanks for the help

·
Super Moderator
3,072 Posts
I know I man on here gutted ( or more to the point got a 300 mm long masonry drill bit and of course a drill disconnected the back end of the DPF , and drilled 3 holes in it just long enough to not damage the rest of the exhaust , ) an to this day has never had a problem . His name is raj , I'll try dig out his thread , very interesting , and should I say clever the way he tackled it .
As to the performance from a 120 ,I t will never be as quick as say a150 or the like . I've got a 120 and I find it has such a low down pull through all the gears , and keeps up with any petrol derived car of the same kinda power . Once it gets up to speed THERES no stopping it .
If power is what I want I just take my GSI out for a drive .
As for the whistle you have , I'm quite sure you woukd of heard it before , sure the exhaust is tight seeing as how the DPF was gutted . Or inter cooler hoses , coukd be any number of things .
But if it has happened since , I would take it back and ask .
Was the DPF knocked out or removed by stealth ? .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As to the power my last car was a Audi 1.8 turbo and I no this car will never have the same turbo pull as that without spending a good amount of money! It does pull much better but I always want more haha. I'm sure I'd heard the whistle before but the dpf was causing major problems and the car wouldn't rev above 1500 and limp mode.

I'm still confused as to what banking plates I need but I'll trial and error until I think it's right. As for the whistle I don't tend to boot it that much as its not that sort of car.

I'm not sure how they did the dpf removal and hope fully he did it stealth style so it's more likely to pass mot. Are there any cheap mods I can do now to help make it just that little bit friskier part from a remap?

Also what this porous cooler pipe that mrf is on about and is it anything to be concerned about?

·
Super Moderator
3,072 Posts
Naaaaaaaaa I would not go worrying yourself about the EGR cooler pipes , or else you may get into a situation where every noise and fart from the car will scare the Willys out of youhoo .
Have you had he oil and filter changed seeing as you had DPF problems , I would check the oil level ( if it's high or you have a smell of diesel on the. Dipstick then get the oil and filter changed toot sweet )
But as with any car regular maintemce will make the car last longer . And filters as well .
There are no cheap mods to make it more frisky
It's like going to an Ann summers shop to make a sheep more appealing , it may be cheap , but wether it's anymore appealing is down to the individual .
Also don't be tempted by a " tuning box " I know on a well known auction site they sell them , and someone on here brought one ......,., it gave him poke then it started to go wobbly . And he threw it away , it looked like an over sized headlight relay with something like " turbo power " stamped on it .
....... So if you want to do it propley a re-map . Is your answer . ........
But what sorta improve you want over the stock 120 I don't know . You may never get what you want until you drive a 120 thats had a re-map and see if that suites your requirements .
Just make sure I keep revs above 2000 whilest accelerating , and it shifts , though I ssuppose going from an audi 1.8 turbo ( I had a passat 2.0 turbo 20v) and yep that shifted . To a 120 diesel there is a lot of difference , but I learnt to adapt , but I would have my 9-3 over the passat any day .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha you have a way with words :blush:. I think a remap is definitely on the table for the future coz I do miss the old a3 turbo but I do live my Sally saab. The oil was very high and had that and the filter changed aswell because of the videos of diesel runaway!!!
Just need to figure out wich end to blank off the egr becouse it seems both holes are diamond shape and not sure wetter I should blank the bottom pipe or manifold hmmmmm or does it matter.

I'm considering going to Celtic tuning in cardiff as I'm based in barry south Wales and they seem to have good reviews so will look into it more.

Can't fault all the help u guys give on here and appreciate it all just gotta figure out wich end of the egr to block off!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Porous - developed pin holes and smoke poured out of it in various spots...

Mine whistles, its partly due to the DPF being empty, you get an reverberation in the empty DPF chamber (small pipe to big chamber and back to small pipe) you hear it as the turbo fully comes on song on mine...

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
With blanking plates ...... Umm..... Couldn't you just take the kitchen scissors to a bean can or something & whizz a couple (Or three) Holes through it on ya old ladies chopping board & toss it in ...... OK it won't be pretty, or at all eloquent... But the hole will be bunged ........ Just a thought

·
Registered
212 Posts
Proper blank plates are 3-6mm thick steel plate...bean cans tend to blow through eventually, I knew someone who managed to blow through double thickness coke can...

I prefer the solid plates.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
if you look on a well known auction site you should find them. cheap enough. your issue could be MOT time.I blanked

my sai valve with a 4mm piece of alluminium. used the sai valve base as a template and cut it to size and drilled the bolt holes. simple enough with basic tools. hacksaw drill and bits and a file if you want it smooth edged and perfect.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I left mine on with a blanking plate underneath, no mention on the last 2 mot's
also removed the EGR pipe from the turbo outlet to the cooler on the side of the block and blanked it at the turbo also...again nothing said on last 2 mots...even when the CEL was on, all I got was an advisory for the light.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Egr deleted and dpf deleted instant fail now on mot - as well as having aftermarket led or hid bulbs in a headlight designed for halogen bulbs.
My 150 vector sport failed last week as i had removed the egr and cooler and pipes and fitted a gizmo to fool the management system into thinking it still had an egr valve, I also had phillips led ultinon bulbs fitted in dipped sockets. Now got to fit all the old stuff back on

Brexit 2021 Update
Please note that since January 2021, the MOT Inspection manual has been updated to include LED bulbs.
Section 4.1.4 now states the following:
“Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.”
This is a brand new update that seems to only focus on headlights.
There are no mentions to fail other LED bulbs such as brake lights, tail lights or reversing lights.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts