Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Hope you all had a lovely Christmas. It was sunny and 30 degrees here in Brisbane, balmy and fine for x-mas day.
I have a question about the EDU display in my 86 turbo. The digital section ofthe display has all of a sudden faded, almost completely away, to thee point that it is only visible when the car is in the gaarge. The digital readout and the function(l/100km, etc) is the only section affected. The check engine warnings are all still illuminated fully. Is there an easy fix? It assume it is LED display and not bulb illuminated.
I did a search but never found anything resembling this problem.
Other than that, after 2 months I am happy with the car. New oil and filter, plugs air filter, coolant, and brake fluid all replaced; just leaving gear-box oil and power steer fluid still to do. Only have to work out what has been by-passed for a relay in the a/c circut and repair it.
It pains me to say this(being a French Car Fan from day dot....Saabs are very well made and most probably the most logically assembled car I have owned. After 1 Holden
3 Peugeots, 1 Fiat, & 7 Renaults)

Cheers from Australia.
Chris

·
Registered
125 Posts
gadday.

Yes it sounds like the little light bulbs have gone.
There are 3 of them at the bottom of the display console module behind 3 white holders, 50 degree anti-c/w twist removes them.
Its a dashboard off - remove the whole display unit job to replace them, as access is almost impossible to get at them any other way.
I dont know of any aftermarket replacements nor led replacements- so it looks like a dealer's parts counter for you.

Chris

·
Registered
411 Posts
Check the sizes of the bulbs that you need, then the sizes of the bulbs that you should replace before they go too, and then buy, if you can afford them, LEDs from http://www.ultraleds.co.uk
They are almost immortal, they give no heat, and you can choose which colour to have sections of your dash illuminated in, just like and aircraft cockpit!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.
Wishing I didn't have to remove whole dash to change a couple of bulbs.
Wow the leds look fantastic. Will have to see if there is an importer in Aus.

So from that I assume they are only incandescent bulbs. It must be some sort of trickery to get it to look like leds. Very smart, but at least it isn't a new EDU like I was guessing ti would be after only the digital display went, and I thought it was an led display. How wrong (luckily) I was.
Thanks again, HAPPY NEW YEAR to all
Chris. (i'll go get strated now and may-be the 9000 will be back in one piece for 2005...haha

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have to write something here now, as I hit quote instead of edit....what a goose...haven't even had any x-mas cheer today......

I am going to add red-line water wetter to the coolant also. Seems to work in my Peugeot 505. Runs considerably cooler.

Chris.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
When "the whole dash" was mentioned, you only have to remove the top and then pull the instrument cluster, it's not that big a job.

The display itself is I believe LCD but back lit by the bulbs through an orangy colour filter.

David.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Just as a couple of tips, the instrument cluster sits in two rubber bungs at the bottom on each side. When you remove the unit, make sure you don't lose these into the dash area.

Second tip, at the top of the cluster, when you've removed the two screws that retain it, cover the metal on the dashboard with masking tape so that you don't accidentally scratch the panel.

You might also want to consider changing all the bulbs to avoid the next nearly life expired one failing on you next week.

David.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sound advice David, thanks. Will have to put off this task till 2005 now, as it's Friday morning here, and my wife has decided this year we are hosting NYE party. Tidy the house, mow the lawn, clean the pool, and still have a few car things to do. ARGH a man's work is never done.
Happy New Year

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
If the display is still visible (if only just) in the garage, then I'd suggest the bulbs aren't blown but just very dim. This would indicate that it is the automatic dimming function that has gone wrong. It's driven from the light sensor on the clock and it's not uncommon for this sensor to fail.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by BillJ:
[qb]If the display is still visible (if only just) in the garage, then I'd suggest the bulbs aren't blown but just very dim. This would indicate that it is the automatic dimming function that has gone wrong. It's driven from the light sensor on the clock and it's not uncommon for this sensor to fail. [/qb][/b]
Hi Bill,
I didn't know about this sensor. If it had failed though, wouldn't it take out the whole display not just the digital reading and l/100km etc. The other section with the engine warnings is fine still.
Cheers Chris

·
Registered
411 Posts
Warning!!
Disconnect the battery BEFORE removing the dash panel, and if you want to test your handiwork after you've replaced the bulbs, make sure that you re-connect EVERYTHING to the instrument panel beforehand, otherwise you'll have a permanent SRS fault light.
Ask me how I know!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Stephen,
I'd like to replace all bulbs too. I actually went to shop here before X-mas that sell household led appliances, desk lights and mood lights etc. The advantages are numerous, low power usage, no need to ever replace blown bulbs again.
It's good that they'll supply o/s countries, but it would be easier if I could find a direct contact and avoid all the hassles.
Thanks again.
Chris

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Just to balance the LED forever story a little. I bought some ultrabrights from Ultraleds, 501 replacements for the high level brake light.

The 501 replacements have 6 LEDs each but a few months later, 2 of them had 3 LEDs out and another 501 replacement had 3 LEDs flickering. I went back to incandescent bulbs.

No complaint against Ultraleds the company, just not convinced.

David.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hello Dave

Ultrabright LED's are still farley new technology so production processes and reliablity are not fully matured yet.
Bright LED's should have a life of better than 50,000 hours depending on the manufacture.
I have standard leds that have been running for over 20 yrs.
But nowhere can i find the published life expectancy for Ultra Bright ones. - so is there a cautionary note here ?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Maybe, my background is electronic engineering and so I have no dispute about the longevity of LED's versus incandescent bulbs. I just thought I'd do a neat swap of the high level bulbs and it didn't work out and I was surprised to have such a high failure rate, i.e. all 4!

As you say, standard LED's last for years and make good replacements for the panel and switch bulbs.

David.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.