Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking in the near future to upgrade the ECU on my 1999 93 SE Turbo. I am looking at using Maptun as the torque curve looks the best of the tuning companies.

Does anyone have any comments on Maptun good or bad, before I spend the money.

Thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would like wich ecu I must choose to rise power on my 88' 9000 T16, brakes are zimmerman elready, recirc dump valve from forge, new clutch etc... and everything seems to be in order. Thanks to everyone. If someone got a stage one to trade, as the prices I've seen seemed to be really high, I'll be intersted. Got a few new parts to exchange too like the upgraded bosh valve....Laurent

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Um, your '88 will be LH 2.2 plus APC, not Trionic...

Fuel chips for LH 2.2 (from Speedparts/BSR, SQR et al) are cheap as chips, really. But there's none commercially available that I know that accounts for an injector upgrade, and you'll run out of injector past ca. 220-240 hp depending on what fuel pressure regulator you use (Speedparts specifies a RRFPR with their fuel chip for the SP Stage Three upgrades).

APC - there's upgrades available from the same sources. Otherwise, there's a fair amount of well documented DIY upgrades out there.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Go for it....and something to think about.

I'm using the Maptune stage 3 product, and about to get the next upgrade to stage 4...

The boost is incredible...after preparing the car in stages to make it safer and more fuel efficient before ordering the ECU ...I replaced items that allows the car to be more fuel efficient first. Then I began my upgrades, and I felt an immediate difference in power.. I've installed the following upgrades to improve on response and hp:
k&n air filter
hyperboost bypass valve
aluminum hi-flow intercooler
hi-flow cat
3 inch downpipe
Stage 3 maptune ECU
3 inch intake

Of course this is only to improve power, but as mentioned earlier, I've also improved the handling of the car... no torque steer from the steering brace, neutral steering in corners came from installing a solid 7/8's inch rear roll bar, new disc and brakes, 17" wheels with wider tires.

Something that most of us might forget about, but really simple to do...is to replace our fuel filters around 80 - 100k miles. Regular maintenance is very important also. Simple things like that will improve fuel economy, and performance. Checking your plugs before you upgrade is also key.

Checking your plugs to see how your car is burning the fuel is generally a good indicator of other problems. Too rich, too lean, burning oil...should always be a concern before tampering with your ECU.

Good luck..

DC

·
Registered
137 Posts
I forgot to add, that if you buy a Maptune product, they will upgrade you for a modest fee...I purchased my upgrade to stage 3 for a little over $650, and my next will only cost $100.

I haven't seen any other tuner provide something like that. So I would recommend Maptune, not only for their very strong power curve like you've already noted, but for their economic cost comparison when your ready for the next stage.

DC

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
and you'll run out of injector past ca. 220-240 hp depending on what fuel pressure regulator you use (Speedparts specifies a RRFPR with their fuel chip for the SP Stage Three upgrades).

[/b]
Eric,
Does that mean my car, 92, 2.3 Carlsson, with Abbott Head, Abbott MBC, 3" JT exhaust, no cat, Abbott Dump Valve, modded intake and Water Injection running 50/50 methanol/water mix will be unable to get the required fuel delivery?
Do I need higher fuel pressure or bigger injectors or what....you have me worried now

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Er no - your injectors (0 280 155 009 ) flow 346 cc (33.9 lbs)/min, where the ones fitted as standard to the c900 and 9000 2.0T flow 214 cc (21 lbs)/min...

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Thank you for that, I can sleep easy now,
although I always have a doubt in my mind on what the fuelling is like at WOT. Need to get to a dyno soon...

·
Registered
21 Posts
SQR will only charge a modest upgrade fee, in fact most suppliers will. Maptune is just the only group that advertises the deal, contact the tuner and discuss your plans, they will deal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts