Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Everyone I have 93 T SE 185BHP im looking for ECU upgrade etc whos the best Abbot, Elkparts, BSR etc is it wise to go straight for a stage 3 increase ie 245BHP with no other mods like brakes suspension etc

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Have just fitted Speedparts ECU(Elkparts) to my 900ST which I am led to believe have BSR chips in them - they are a popular upgrade hereabouts. If you are upgrading though, you really should also be thinking of brakes and suspension to cope with the extra power - also recommended is an upgraded front pipe on the exhaust as your increased temperatures here can cause premature failure of the exhaust valves etc.
Abbott, Hirsch, Maptun are also frequently used - prices vary a little. If you were going stage 3 with Speedparts you also get the exhaust and air filter I believe, so would only leave brakes and suspension to do.

Mike

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Hi Rob, and welcome to Saabscene.

Speedparts are represented in the UK by Elkparts

and Maptun have their own source here.

I haven't got the Abbot and BSR links to hand.

I don't drive a 9-3, but from reading posts here you may find any serious increase in power above the already reasonable 185 hp to be a bit wasted without a set of uprated / lowered springs and dampers.

Do a search of the 9-3 forum for Eibach. It will give you some info and sight of previous discussions about this.

·
Registered
382 Posts
welcome rob
i think stage 3 includes the fitting of uprated exhaust and sport cat. without the exhaust i think you will need stage 1. i have a 9000 stage 3
supplied by maptun. i am very pleased with the conversion, actually i am really over the moon with it. such a massive increase in power for so little money. i would recommend maptun they are very easy to deal with. if you start with stage 1 they will give you a 90% discount on other stages you might require. i would also urge you to uprate your brakes and suspension, i have not driven a 93 but on the 9000 i am pleased i uprated mine. i should also add that i have not tried any of the other tuners, but plenty of other people on this site have.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Welcome to Saabscene, Rob.

My advice: get the handling sorted first! I drive a completely standard 9-3SE and would not want to significantly increase power without improving the chassis. Brakes are OK, IMO, but check with your insurance company!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Welcome Rob,

My two cents.... I would add all of the recommended parts for the stage you ultimately want to be at before ordering the ECU. Intercooler, K&N filter, bypass valve, 3 inch downpipe. I've just completed my research on the best ECU to buy for the money...and Maptune will get my money.

This may or may not apply to you, but on my 97 900SE turbo, I've added the single-pass intercooler, replaced the bypass/diverter valve, replaced the rear sway bar (SAS); beefier struts, and bigger wheels/brake discs; stronger clutch kit; replaced the air cleaner with a K&N...filter, although I may still switch to J's filter, and just got my 3 inch down today.

In other words you need to get ready for that horsepower/torque your adding on. Build your suspension up, then add the components that make your car breathe better, and don't waste your time with a stage one kit. Your adaptive ECU already on the car will take advantage of these components to a certain degree, but not fully.

The Trionic system is adaptive and will adjust to your driving habits....drive hard and you get higher boost, drive moderate, and you get lower boost. You can actually prepare the car to give the highest boost levels before driving it for the day.

The increase in horsepower will still be substantial, as the turbo will spool up quicker, and you'll have improved throttle response.

You'll spend anywhere from 6 - 700 american depending on where you are in the world for the ECU, but until you add the components that allows the ECU to take advantage of them....you'll only raise the redline, and change the peak horsepower/torque levels relative to where the car's potential is already.

To adjust your adaptive ECU to give you the highest boost....run the car from about 2k up to 3500 in the highest gear you can get it in...typically 4th gear. Then test the car's response and you should see an immediate improvement in response.

....Can't wait to get mine completed....

DC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts