Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now my 96 Aero (98,000 miles) is run in and nearing the end of it saaben guarantee, I am thinking of uprating it a little.

The tyres are new Pilot sport and the exhaust has lots of life. I am also not intending to use the extra power too much so believe I can leave the handling and braking as standard.

Which ecu upgrade do you recommend for reliability (and engine/ manual gearbox longevity) and quality and price. I suppose I am hoping for 250 to 265 bhp. Also who should I get to fix it. I live in South Herts. I usually use BPV in Slough and whilst I rate them very highly, they are anti modding cars and think mine is quick enough. Obviously I want someone good but with a love of extra

How about TDC (Danny Close in watford - any view)

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I have same car same mileage. Having read lots of feedback, you wont go wrong with Speedparts of Maptun Stage1 - which will give you the power you are looking for. I am planning to get Speedparts Stage1 once the bank lets me. (£350)

PS - Have you removed the heatplate from the inlet manfold? - If your's is a P reg you probably have one of these bizarre devices and removing it will give you about 10-12bhp top end(never tested) as models with the plate run a slightly higher boost to compensate for the restriction. I threw in an IPT air filter too. Throttle response is also miles better...

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
JD,
Well your critieria means the only option of a ECU mod only, either go to Abbott who will supply and fit, or you are looking at the Speedparts Stage 1 from Elkparts and a easy DIY fitting, or a similar Stage 1 from Maptun, which you could get supplied and fited by the nice folks at Howe Engineering in Herts.

http://www.maptun.co.uk
http://www.elkparts.com
http://www.abbottracing.com

·
Registered
234 Posts
Out of interest, what is an IPT air filter? Just doing some servicing and have yet to buy the air filter, so interested in options.

is the increase as noticeable with heatplate removal on 2.0 LPT (96)? Seems too easy.

Thanks,

Pete

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
just to answer earlier questions:

I know saab upped the boost at higher rpms on heatplated Aeros - 225 models. I don't know if the LPTs got the same treatment (sorry).
I can say that throttle response is better even from tickover without it so you will notice something - its a bit of a fiddle to remove but costs nothing apart from time. (search on 'heatplate' for more details)

The IPT filter was bought as speedparts didnt have the JR ones in stock. The IPT one is a triple layer foam effort (of varying grades). Looking at it I would reckon the air is virtually unrestricted. If you look on the abbott site you'll see the IPT filter, but I didnt get it from there (I think I paid £40 but can't find the URL for the shop - if you are interested I'll have a dig)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.