Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how likely the insurer is to check for ecu upgrades in the event of a crash?
especially the ppc upgrades which could only be detected if they downloaded the ecu software and compared it to stock settings.

So what do you lot do?

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
This sort of modification is a material fact which you must advise your insurer of. If your insurer does not like it then find a new insurer. Tescos are very reasonable in consideration of mods and so are Frizzell.

If you do not declare such modifications then you may find that you only have the minimum third party risk cover in the event of a crash. That means that you get no cash from your insurer.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry i didnt really make myself very clear, i know im obliged to declare the mod, what im saying is given that it will cost me ~£200 extra on my insurance im tempted not to tell the insurer, and i want to know how likely the insurer is to check for the mod in the event of a crash/fire etc.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've declared all the mods to the aero. Thought it best to be safe (and a few quid out of pocket ). Approx an extra £200 also

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im about to change insurance, but tesco was over £200 more with the mod.

I usually do things by the book, but car insurance really gets up my nose the way you have to insure your insurance and all this no claims nonsense so you darent even use the product you just paid for !

The bottom line is; PPC upgrade, software only, does anyone know/think it likely the insurer would bother downloading and comparing the software ?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
What you're asking is:

"I'm thinking of knowingly committing fraud. Do you think I'll get away with it"?

There really is no other way of putting it.

Better would be to phone around for a more mod-friendly insurer. You can probably lower that £200 difference considerably.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately the mod friendly insurers are almost always considerably more expensive to start with.

Soulhand - i wasnt trying to put it any other way, i just wanted to know if im likely to be able to get away with having an undeclared ecu modification.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I know exactly what you are saying in my experiance with working in several garages that only did accident repairs, all the insurance company acessors who viewed the cars never once questioned whether it had any mods at all.

Being an insurance acessor isnt the most glamourous or well paid job and in the car sector the vast majority couldnt tell one model from the next never mind if it had mods fitted.

I have seen Subaru's with the full upgrade book as far as mods go get repaired with no questions ever asked and none of the cosmetic or power mods where ever declared.

There is no way in the world any insurance acessor would check never mind be able to tell if your car had a PPC ECU flash upgrade.

Now we all know that not telling them isnt legal but ask yourself are they ever going to know.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by Zippy9-3:
[qb]I know exactly what you are saying       in my experiance with working in several garages that only did accident repairs, all the insurance company acessors who viewed the cars never once questioned whether it had any mods at all.

Being an insurance acessor isnt the most glamourous or well paid job and in the car sector the vast majority couldnt tell one model from the next never mind if it had mods fitted.

I have seen Subaru's with the full upgrade book as far as mods go get repaired with no questions ever asked and none of the cosmetic or power mods where ever declared.    

There is no way in the world any insurance acessor would check never mind be able to tell if your car had a PPC ECU flash upgrade.

Now we all know that not telling them isnt legal but ask yourself are they ever going to know.    [/qb][/b]
Thankyou zippy

·
Registered
360 Posts
Told my previous insurer (Direct Line) just before renewal and premium rose from £340 to £680 - DOUBLED!
Shopped around and got insured for £320 with mods declared so cheaper than last year.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The bottom line is; PPC upgrade, software only, does anyone know/think it likely the insurer would bother downloading and comparing the software[/b]
The only people in the UK that I know of that are capable of interigating the software on your Saab ECU are Abbott. No Saab garage has the necessary equipment!
So as long as you don't have any stickers under the bonnet advertising the fact that the ECU is modified, then there is no way for anyone to find out.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Originally posted by Neil M:
[qb] QUOTE
The bottom line is; PPC upgrade, software only, does anyone know/think it likely the insurer would bother downloading and comparing the software[/b]
The only people in the UK that I know of that are capable of interigating the software on your Saab ECU are Abbott. No Saab garage has the necessary equipment! [/qb][/b][/quote]If you hook up tech2 you can read out the software version etc, so it is not only Abbott.
That said, maptun uses the same software numbers as stock, so you can't see if it's modified other than to drive it

·
Registered
293 Posts
Having shopped around for a mod-friendly insurance company, I actually pay less now, for the same degree of cover, than I did when the car was still stock.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by Scotty Mc:
[qb]Is it possible to compile a list of mod-friendly insurers?  
 [/qb][/b]
We've covered this many times. The problem is that insurance is dependent upon so many variables that a good insurer for one person is not necessarily good for the next person.

As a start, try Tesco, Adrian Flux, Greenlight and Frizzell.

I have added more and more mods to my car, all declared and legal, and my insurance is cheaper now than when the vehicle was standard.

·
Registered
390 Posts
If I can add my 2 pennies worth, Dan how much is your car worth ?? Can you really afford to lose that amount of money for £200 extra Ins, if you can afford the ECU you can afford the Ins.

I aggree here with John (again!!) Frizells are very good with mods, Tesco not so sure as when I had a 93 SE Conv with 4 mods they couldnt ensure me as only had room on there computer for 3 mods !!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
its £200/year dont forget, soon adds up. Maybe i just havent checked the right insurers, but adrian flux, tesco, egg and all the common ones i have tried.

Im not going to upgrade until after the winter anyway so i will check the lay of the land when the time comes. Thanks for the info/opinions

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
About to re-insure and got my lowest ever quote for the 9k aero from Elephant - £480 (I'm 28 full NCB, SW London). That's not much more than the 1.4 Golf was. Next best is £700+ (frizzels/Chris Knott)
And all was going well until I told them of the exhaust and strut brace. Exhaust was fine but they balked at the strut brace as it strengthens the body - too damn right it does! - Anyway I ain't removing it.
Onwards... Adrian Flux next.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm 30, full NCB and I'm paying just under £1K for the aero I have declared all the mods but have been told the problem is where I live (east London). I'm with Chris Knott. They were by far the cheapest
Some companies were even refusing to give me a quote

1 - 20 of 60 Posts