Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

ECU Upgrades 9000CSE 2.0 Lpt

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  billj 
#1 ·
Hi I have a 1997 9000 cse 2.o lpt. I am deciding whether to invest in a stage one ecu upgrade from Elksport, is there anyone out there that has gone this route, if so any comments would be very helpful. I am particularly interested in any info on set up and what to expect performance wise and in terms of how it "fits in" with the car ie is it still as drivable or is it lumpy on tickover, that sort of thing.

Thanks

#5 ·
I fitted the Speedparts stage 1 (from Elkparts) to my 2.3 LPT and can report no drivability problems. If anything the car now runs smoother than before . Tickover is nice and even, driving in traffic is fine. The improvement in overtaking range acceleration is dramatic and high speed cruising is effortless
. I've noticed no change in fuel consumption for better or worse. So, yes, to answer your question, it does fit in with the character of the car.

#6 ·
Originally posted by jeeteejay:
[qb]is it still as drivable or is it lumpy on tickover[/qb][/b]
Welcome to SaabScene, jeeteejay.
It helps if you understand how it works. The upgraded ECU simply increases the turbo boost pressure to (or a little beyond) that of the full-pressure 2.0T (which I think Saab had stopped putting into the 9000 by around '96). This engine was exactly the same as the one you have, and so is the turbo.

The upgrade will also add a boost control valve, which was not fitted to your model, but again, was fitted to the full-pressure 2.0T. This valve is what allows the ECU to control the boost pressure, and was fitted to all 9000 turbos except the 2.3LPT and later 2.0LPTs like yours. Fuel and ignition are controlled by the same ECU as the boost control valve and are mapped appropriately for the new power characteristics.

As far as I can make out (and this is the case with similar upgrades from other suppliers), the mechanical parts are completely unchanged with this upgrade. i.e. no high-lift cams to affect low-speed running, no bigger turbo to give increased lag, no larger injectors that are difficult to control at idle, no free-flowing exhaust to cause increased noise (although the exhaust will probably be a bit noisier while you are using the extra power, as exhaust gasses are flowing out at a higher rate, but again this is what you'd expect from any 9000 full-pressure 2.0T).

The only (electro-)mechanical part to be added is the valve and its three rubber hoses, and the electrical connector for it is already there in your car.

Basically, when you don't need the extra power (when would anyone not need extra power? ), it will behave as if you hadn't upgraded it. I do see why you would be concerned, though. As well as a firebreathing modified Aero (that has lost none of its original flexibility even though it is now putting out around 300bhp), I also have a CSE 2.0LPT. I love the character, smoothness and flexibility of this car and wouldn't want to lose it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.