Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all

I hope someone can help me on this one.

I want to upgrade the ECU on my 9000 ecoturbo automatic '95. BSR, MapTun and Two stroke to Turbo all have good prices and products. However, when I spoke to Two stroke, they said the increase of 75 Bhp, from 150 to 225, was very optimistic, even though that is what the others advertised. Two stroke say an increase of 30-40 Bhp is closer to the mark. They would fit an Abbott racing power upgrade for £450. No solenoid or hoses or air filters !!

They also said that if I did go to 225 Bhp the automatic gearbox would take away most of the power increase and would also take a hammering and would need changing every 18 months or so due to the extra wear and tear.

Does anyone have any knowledge about this who could please give me some help?

Regards

Andrew

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi,

I'm sure a qualified boffin will be along soon to answer your question with accurate facts and figures but until then here's my 2p or 2c for Dollar and Euro users.

I am one week into life with a stage 1 upgrade on my LPT auto and highly recommend it. The advice I took beforehand was that there is a design limit on the amount of torque that the auto box can take, and that most of the upgrades go above that limit. So you have to decide if you are willing to risk shortening the life of your box vs. the fun you get with the extra
!

My box has done 189,000 miles and is still going strong so I don't feel it's a big risk as it's probably overdue a rebuild anyway.

I chose Speedparts from Elkparts because another member posted that the extra
all comes in at higher revs, hopefully assisting in protecting the box from lots of low down torque stresses. I believe that Maptun produce a better/smoother torque curve which would be best for manuals but I decided that did not meet my needs. Maptun offer cheaper secondary upgrades when you realise you need more than a stage 1! But I gambled that I wouldn't go any higher than stage 1.

The upgrade was easy to fit < 1 hour taking my time, even for a novice like me. I find all the rush comes above 2500 rpm, and really gets going at about 3500 rpm unheard of reaches of the tacho pre-upgrade!

I ummed and ahed for a long time before investing and highly recommend it to you!

HTH

absgt
97 2.3 lpt Anniversary auto

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
This reply has been posted on behalf of aero-less-pilot

Originally posted by aero-less-pilot:
[qb]         
Just typed out a long answer and hit the button to be told the topic didn't exist....because a moderator pressumably was in the process of moving the post to here.....  

Andrew,
I wouldn't bother with Two Stroke, you'd be better off going direct to Abbott Racing,[qb] but[/qb], if it was my money     I would get a Maptun ECU...  

And it's not the 225hp that will cause problems it's torque. The Maptun Stage 1 is 340Nm which is only just above the 323Nm of the standard 2.3FPT auto so you should be OK as far as the gearbox is concerned. [/qb][/b]
Reminder to all contributors, please only post your question in one place so that others may answer.
There is no need to cross-post the same information in more than one forum.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Don't know about the others but Speedparts and Maptun definately take the auto box into account when programming your ECU, by restricting the torque increase.

Speedparts claim +75 bhp on a 2.0lpt and although I've not had it rolling roaded I believe them - the car is astonishingly quick now (and uses less petrol!).

Speedparts increase the power at higher revs : below about 2750rpm there is not obvious difference to the standard car but above that it
s. This suits my driving style well.
I understand that the Maptun upgrade adds power and torque more evenly across the rev range so that although the ultimate power is the same as Speedparts, a Maptun car will generally feel "livelier".
Pays yer money and takes yer pick.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I agree with the above comments and as a Maptun customer would say that I chose the upgrade as I got the best sounding advice on "upgrading with the auto box" from Maptun, I think they go just a little further in the protection in both first and second gears than BSR do, although they too work with due regard to the auto box.

Having said all that for the first 6 months my wife never knew as the power is very very smooth and around town etc is very subtle, however one day whilst transporting her mother they overtook a milk float and scared themselves silly with the take off

Off the line the auto box itself limits torque but if you want wheel spin you can have it, just dip your toe!

I couldnt recommend the upgrade any more highly and have heard great comments about the BSR ones too.

I think your only decision should be whether you will want even more power later and if so then Maptun / BSR may be a better bet as they have higher stages of tuning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts